Could a dream come true?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I was looking around online for live fish for sale in my area to see what the market was like and then I found something close to my dream tank... Its a 36x24x12 (LxHxW)... The description says that they are done with fish and don't have time and it comes with a heater and filter pump... Also its located right in my city Its listed for $25!!! Thats right, $25!!! Way better than paying $270 at my LPS.... My mom was a bit hesitant but now my parents are like: "We'll talk about it". If I can get that tank, I can get a lot more gudgeons and be able to provide a better habitat. Also I could run my current filter on it for it to be low flow. I looked up how much it holds and it holds 45-50 US gallons.... Pretty sweet deal! I could have way more variety of fish in there than in here ir just up schooling sizes in general... This is just a hopeful thought for now but I really hope I can do it...

I cant snag it up at the moment. I talked to my parents and they were like: "Give it time and think do you really need it." Which I see their reasoning but also... Its a $25 aquarium that is normally $270... And were also looking at leaving for a trip near the end of this month and I promised that I would wait to get it until after IF my patents said it was ok... And if its still available... The reason behind this is because our garage is a mess atm so my mom doesnt want a fairly big object sitting there for who knows how long. She is also concerned about it busting and instead of 20g on the floor its (what we thought was) 60g

Sounds like a great deal :) If it helps get it over the line, ask the seller as many questions as you can, eg how old is it? Have you modified it? Any damage, chips to glass or stand etc? Have they had any issues with brace bars etc.

In terms of tanks breaking though, it is so rare and as long as the tank is level in its position and on a base mat or polystyrene you can't really go wrong. I think the only tanks I've seen/heard of breaking catastrophically like the scene in mission impossible have been home made ones, where someone has made an error in construction etc.

Sometimes tanks do leak but not burst, I had a filter seal go once and as bad as it sounds it wasn't the end of the world. If you do see a tank leaking the best thing to do is wrap it in clingfilm the strength it adds is unbelievable, but I hope you never have to use that tip!

In terms of storing it, do you think you could ask the seller if they could keep it stored for a few weeks? Sometimes people are more helpful than you'd think :) Then that way you'd know it was yours when you come back from vacation and its not been stuck in your garage.

I know I'm a terrible influence but if your replace the word 'parents' with the word 'wife' our current predicaments are not that different haha!

Wills

Well... Bad news good news... Good news: Did my research before buying to find that the light I have can not expand to 36 inches... And to buy a light that can is around $70... So thats half way good and bad news.

Bad news: Because of that I wont be getting that aquarium 😔. I was sooo happy to see that deal but I cant spend an extra $70 on a light that is just 6 inches larger.... So if anyone is willing to drive to NC to pick up an aquarium just DM me and I can send y'all a link to it I guess... Dang, I really wanted it

Well... Bad news good news... Good news: Did my research before buying to find that the light I have can not expand to 36 inches... And to buy a light that can is around $70... So thats half way good and bad news.

Bad news: Because of that I wont be getting that aquarium 😔. I was sooo happy to see that deal but I cant spend an extra $70 on a light that is just 6 inches larger.... So if anyone is willing to drive to NC to pick up an aquarium just DM me and I can send y'all a link to it I guess... Dang, I really wanted it
You could just have the light a bit short? I had a four foot set of tubes on my six foot tank and never really noticed a problem if you think about the depth of the tank light doesn’t just go straight down it will create a cone broadening towards the bottom. As long as you don’t want to do complex planting I don’t think that’s a problem. If there’s space in the hood you could raise it up with a block of something on each end to get even more coverage.

Wills

You might try illustrating to your folks what a great deal it is to get the tank anyway. A solution to your lighting can come later and/or you save up for it. Or as Wills mentioned, you may adapt your light to work.

$25 for a 45L is too good to pass up. It's financially irresponsible to do so in fact. :)

You can still get the tank and keep it dry, then get the light later on down the road. I’ve had to do this with a tank before, that I didn’t have the funds to fully setup at that moment.

If you could "snag" it and turns to be a dud, just turn around and resell it. I got a one year old 50g with heater and filter, along with gravel cleaner and filter replacements and light for $80. Waiting to get a stand, or build one myself, to set it up, and will have yo get a new light eventually too, to help the plants (got used to this full spectrum, programmable one, but it won't fit this either) baby steps. Negotiate with your folks about storing it and working towards getting the accessories, at $25 it is indeed a great deal.

You could just have the light a bit short? I had a four foot set of tubes on my six foot tank and never really noticed a problem if you think about the depth of the tank light doesn’t just go straight down it will create a cone broadening towards the bottom. As long as you don’t want to do complex planting I don’t think that’s a problem. If there’s space in the hood you could raise it up with a block of something on each end to get even more coverage.

Wills
I dont mind having the light shorter but the braces on the light do not stretch out far enough... So its physically impossible unless I just laid the light on top if the tank which I dont want to do...

And with getting maybe 5 dollars every OTHER week only in the spring and summer, it would take to much time to save up... I regret even bringing it up on here now...

I may get it to resell but Idk if my parents would let me :(

Ah man sorry wasn't trying to push too much just excited for you :)

If its just the lights that are the problem and this is the chance to get the tank with the rest of the equipment there could be work arounds. I don't know your light unit (but I do really like hygger :) ) but I know some brands do extendable arms for example or a hanging kit that works a bit like a HOB over the back pane of glass.

But if you want to park it for now you already have an awesome tank and fish :)

Wills

I don't like the size of the tank with it being 2 foot high x 12 inches wide. It makes them top heavy. However, for $25.00, it is a pretty good deal.

You don't need a light on the tank for fish. Lights are for plants and for people to see what is in the tank. You could use it as a rearing tank for the peacock gudgeons, or put something else in it.

You can use a LED spotlight and clamp it above the tank. Or make up a frame and hang the light unit above the tank.

You can use a LED spotlight and clamp it above the tank. Or make up a frame and hang the light unit above the tank.

Thats a good idea, @Rocky998 have you ever seen MD Fish Tanks on YouTube? He uses LED floodlights off Amazon and he basically worked out they have very similar output to fish lights but the ones he uses are (I think) £7! Having just remembered this I may do the same for my next tank rather than an expensive one... He usually makes a stand out of wood and screws the lights on, but I've also seen this done onto decorative branches which is quite cool.... hmmm I'm getting ideas for myself from this haha!

Wills

It might not be a perfect fit (the lighting) but it doesn't have to be. Get creative and make it work for you. I mean I hung my two huge lights from projector mounts. Cost me a whole whopping $18 for the pair and a couple zip ties. Make a cheap bracket, suspend your light, whatever you need to make it work. Solutions don't need to break the bank, and if the lighting was all that was holding you back on getting your tank, I would MacGyver the crap out of it.

Attachments

• 20220507_144441.jpg
    20220507_144441.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 23

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back