Corys are having nookie

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nichola_C

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am pretty sure my 2 sterbai corys are mating.
They are normally so lazy and laid back but all of a sudden 1 is chasing/following the other one around, they are both hoovering off the ground together and 1 seems to be nudging the other ones belly.

I really wanted to clean the gravel but now I feel bad. Water levels are all ok, so should I just leave the gravel for a week and do normal water change and just let them get on with it in peace.

Ps well that ruins my boy names for them. Haha ?

Attachments

• 20210412_100302.jpg
    20210412_100302.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210412_100300.jpg
    20210412_100300.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210412_100237.jpg
    20210412_100237.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210412_100236.jpg
    20210412_100236.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210412_100217.jpg
    20210412_100217.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Very much sounds like they're "at it"! They stick their eggs to the glass or leaves shortly after. Are you interested in raising any fry? If so you'd need to remove the eggs (and keep safe in a breeder box) fairly soon or else they will eat them.

No im not, shame, but im only just getting used to having fish hahaha not starting with breeding boxes etc YET ?

They will probably spawn most days. Go ahead with the gravel clean.

OK will do, I guess if im not going to put them in a breeder box then is doesn't really matter anyway. And other people have told me they lay of leaves and the glass anyway.

Thanks for advice.

Hi everyone I need some advice. So for a week the corys were "Playing together" and now I never see them, they are hardly out. They used to always be out and about, but they they started having fun and after a week of this they just now hide together all day. Whats up with them?
I only have 2 in the tank, should I have more? Are they guarding eggs that I cant see? Are they knackered from too much playing haha ? is this normal. Any advice welcome.

What I would do is build some caves about 5mm off the substrate. If any of the young hatch they will go into these caves and be safe. Then you may get a few extras in time.

Nothings up with them Nichola.I have around 20 corys,but on most days it looks like I have 2.
Occasionally I will see most of mine out in the open,but only rarely.Yesterday was a fine example of my corys coming out of hiding,and some have grown since the last time I saw them haha.

To spurn corys to spawn,do a water change and make sure the water you use to refill the tank is cooler.You are trying to mimic a down pour of rain,which is cooler,and corys spawn after rain in the wild.Also turn the heater temperature down too,only for a couple of days after the water change.
My aquarium is 24 and if I do a water change with slightly cooler water and also turn the temp down to 22 I will be almost guaranteed that the aquarium glass is covered in eggs.Almost to order.
That’s my method of spurning them to lay eggs,but I’m no expert,just the way it works for me.
Mines don’t survive due to the high density of barbs I have in the tank.
your two sterbai look happy enough,lovely corydoras ?

I'm really surprised that they felt secure enough to mate, they feel far more secure in a shoal of 6+ THis may also be why you're not seeing them so much.

I'm really surprised that they felt secure enough to mate, they feel far more secure in a shoal of 6+ THis may also be why you're not seeing them so much.
Thry have been having a field day haha randy little pair hahaha but yes I am going tomorrow to get a few more. I didnt want to over load the tank all at once but yes, I definitely need to get some more. Thanks.

LFS sells them in 3s so I got 3 tiddly ones yesterday as he had no bigger ones. Hopefully they won't take too long to catch up. Cute little things ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back