Corys and Khulis?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi, im wondering if i can keep bronze and peppered cories with Khuli loaches in a sand substrate.
also can normal khulis and black khulis live together?

While it should work, I personally would not combine any loach species with cories. Kuhli loaches are less likely to be problematic, I agree, but I do not think the multiplication of different substrate-level fish a good idea generally. You will likely see the cories during the day, but not the kuhli loaches. Feeding can obviously be an issue if this occurs.

As for the Hillstream Loaches, they must have a good current from the filter, down the tank. And lower temperatures than many tropical fishes. They also need algae, in addition to algae-based prepared foods.

Some but not all of the botine type loaches (species in the genus Botia for example, but again not all) will eat snails, some species being more thorough than others, and some not really bothering at all. Puffer fish are good at eating snails. But, no fish should ever be acquired just to deal with an issue (problem or not) unless you like the fish and can provide the environment it needs--involving numbers, tank size, decor, other fish species, etc.

sorry about the dumb questions but do hillstream loaches need super high flow or just flow+ a lot of aeration
High flow, with extremely good aeration/oxygen-saturated water, at a cooler temperature than most tropical fish.
They also need lots of biofilm.

If you have a snail problem, there are other more basic methods of control than hoping fish will eat them. ;)

You will likely see the cories during the day, but not the kuhli loaches. Feeding can obviously be an issue if this occurs.

This would also depend upon the number of kuhli loach. I have 11 and they're active at least throughout daylight hours. Both corydoras and kuhli loach are cathemeral.
The issue might be more to do with overcrowding of the lower levels, given both species require numbers to thrive.

This would also depend upon the number of kuhli loach. I have 11 and they're active at least throughout daylight hours. Both corydoras and kuhli loach are cathemeral.
The issue might be more to do with overcrowding of the lower levels, given both species require numbers to thrive.
right, the snail problem is controllable with a net, i just feel bad throwing them out since they could probably be used in some way :(
they are a life after all and i dont want to waste it since i have no big fish lol

While it should work, I personally would not combine any loach species with cories. Kuhli loaches are less likely to be problematic, I agree, but I do not think the multiplication of different substrate-level fish a good idea generally. You will likely see the cories during the day, but not the kuhli loaches. Feeding can obviously be an issue if this occurs.
I wanted to note that as to whether you see the kuhli or not during the day seems to be random. I have had kuhli for quite a few years and in some tanks they never hide and others they are never visible. I've not found a definitive pattern with regards to tank lighthing; landscape or substrate type (dark/light) to even suggest if they will or will not be visible. Unfortunately i also don't have enough information and their source to speculate if the difference is in wild caught (majority) or tank raised. I've gotten ok at identifying some of the species but there are quite a few of them and it is not always obvious to myself what i have (pangio kuhli, pangio sem, pangio merysi (ok this one is obvious eventually), pangio ...). You can usually identify pangio sem by the broken stripes where as pangio kuhli tend to be darker and more complete but i believe there are several other species not commonly listed that differ in slight form.

Anyway in 2 of my tanks they do always hide but in one of them they never hide - go figures.

Feed less and get some assassinsnails.

Don't buy fish to solve a snailproblem is my opinion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back