Corydoras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kirsty90

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 3 corydoras in my tank. One look extremely swollen in the stomach and the other two are constantly chasing it, sat with it or sometimes even on top of it. The swollen one is the largest of the three fish.

Is there a possibility it is pregnant or could it be some other problem? Totally unexpected!

From your description it sounds like one female and two males.....females are often quite a bit bigger than the males and when they get frisky, the males will chase, nudge and generally harrass the female to produce eggs. When she does produce them they sit tween her lower fins and are splotched everywhere, often the glass, and the males will then rub them to fertilise them...and her to produce more eggs

It can get quite energetic and manic (and noisy too if by chance the female is close to the surface, mine often squeak when being harrassed by the lads)

From your description it sounds like one female and two males.....females are often quite a bit bigger than the males and when they get frisky, the males will chase, nudge and generally harrass the female to produce eggs. When she does produce them they sit tween her lower fins and are splotched everywhere, often the glass, and the males will then rub them to fertilise them...and her to produce more eggs

It can get quite energetic and manic (and noisy too if by chance the female is close to the surface, mine often squeak when being harrassed by the lads)
Would you suggest I leave them in community tank or move to breeding tank? She is becoming fatter everytime I look at her lol

Leave them where they are.

Post pictures of the fish if you are concerned.

Leave them where they are

Mine reproduce quite happily in their aquariums.....too often tbh but then I have lazy BN's who rarely get to the eggs in time to do their contraception job ;)

One of my aquariums started with two Pepper Cory....this morning I saw at least 5 juveniles of various size/age....they just breed regardless of where they live.

I have found the females to be the fish equivalent of a Russian bodybuilder...the proverbial built like an outside loo ;)

They have to be cos the little boys do tend to get very persistent when they are getting frisky. Some of my females are two or three times bigger than the males and the girls still get pushed about all over the place when getting jiggy with it for anything upto and around 45 minutes at a time

Most reactions

Back