Corydoras wont stop dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes I vacuumed into the gravel. I do everytime because of how much poop the corys and snails create.

Gh is 8 and pH is 7.8 out of the tap.

The corys are fine now. Like i said they only do it when I change the water they're really never near the surface. I don't understand why because they don't do it otherwise.

Is the GH 8 dH or 8 ppm?

Your data would suggest that something may be stirred up/out of the substrate at the water change, and the cories being substrate fish are swimming to the surface to try and avoid it. One would expect the other fish to have similar issues, but you say they do not. Still, the connection is obvious, now we need to determine jut what this is.

The amount of excrement being removed also tells us there may be an overfeeding issue. There is also the related issue again of gravel harbouring food and "poop" longer than sand would before it can get broken down, and this can cause bacterial issues.

City water. It always says no chlorine but I'll get a conditioner to make sure anyways.

What says no chlorine, the city or your test? I know of no city in North America that does not treat its water with chlorine or chloramine to kill bacteria that will otherwise seriously harm people who drink the water. Check the website of the water authority, they must by law tell you what they add to the water.

The OP is in Michigan

Is the GH 8 dH or 8 ppm?

Your data would suggest that something may be stirred up/out of the substrate at the water change, and the cories being substrate fish are swimming to the surface to try and avoid it. One would expect the other fish to have similar issues, but you say they do not. Still, the connection is obvious, now we need to determine jut what this is.

The amount of excrement being removed also tells us there may be an overfeeding issue. There is also the related issue again of gravel harbouring food and "poop" longer than sand would before it can get broken down, and this can cause bacterial issues.
Dh and I don't overfeed.

What says no chlorine, the city or your test? I know of no city in North America that does not treat its water with chlorine or chloramine to kill bacteria that will otherwise seriously harm people who drink the water. Check the website of the water authority, they must by law tell you what they add to the water.
The test shows no chlorine. I looked online and it says they do on the website though

Get either the Seachem Prime, or API Tap Water conditioner, and do a large WC, ASAP

Use a digital thermometer to match tap temp to tank temp, every time
I'll get prime. Couldn't another big water change be detrimental since i just did 70% yesterday. How much do you recommend?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back