Corydoras unknown death

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

During cycling, you get into the habit of testing the waters and you get a 'feel' for it. This habit should continue when you add fish.
The problem usually occurs when,at last free to add those much-desired fish, we can rush ahead and completely stock in the one go.
Yay!
It's even written in many otherwise esteemed places that you can 'now add all your fish'.
This is just asking for trouble and forgets the concept of the balanced ecosystem you've just taken the time to create.
In many instances, you might be able to add all your fish and everything is hunky dory...but why risk it? For sure, you can start again and 'cycle' a bit longer, but you've gone and damaged, if not killed, fish in the process.

If you have a planted tank and all of the plants die, then something is seriously amiss. If we took half as much care with our plants as we do our fish, then plants would survive longer and might even 'thrive'. @Byron 's point about floating plants is well made and these are great, not only for what they do to the water chemistry, but for the security they give the wildlife in the tank.
One problem for me is that since cories prefer dim lighting it severely limits which plants I can successfully keep in the aquarium, and the ones that do well in those conditions are definitely not the fast growing type. I wouldn't think that all of the plants in the aquarium would have to die for it to cause measurable ammonia to appear. I'm not arguing the value of using plants to cycle a tank if you know what you're doing. Just that I don't think it's the best choice for someone who is new to fishkeeping.

One problem for me is that since cories prefer dim lighting it severely limits which plants I can successfully keep in the aquarium, and the ones that do well in those conditions are definitely not the fast growing type. I wouldn't think that all of the plants in the aquarium would have to die for it to cause measurable ammonia to appear. I'm not arguing the value of using plants to cycle a tank if you know what you're doing. Just that I don't think it's the best choice for someone who is new to fishkeeping.
Two words...'floating' and 'plants'.
They do what's necessary AND provide dimmer lighting conditions.

Because.

That's like saying sugar is toxic to all humans...it's a matter of degree.

Seen it.
I also researched this and found papers in support of the practice. Research further and you'll find them.
I only need to convince myself. ;)
(Although, perhaps strangely, many of the quality aquarist You-tubers also support the practice. They have access to the same research as your good self).

I am not going to waste time searching for what doesn't likely exist, by which I mean scientific authors documenting and advising the "safe" use of salt with freshwater fish on a regular (not disease-specific treatment) basis. The contents of my article are scientific fact. I will certainly look into any contrary articles authored by scientific persons if you can provide the links or at least the names.

Floating plants are your best bet. First, they are fast-growing, as fast as just about any lower plant can be. And they provide the shade cories and indeed all forest fish appreciate. I have a good cover of floating plants, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta) and Salvinia, sometimes Water Lettuce or Frogbit. Provided the plants are growing, one is home free.

Would plants on the substrate still be able to get sufficient light with a cover of floating plants? The cories enjoy milling about in the plants substrate level.

Would plants on the substrate still be able to get sufficient light with a cover of floating plants? The cories enjoy milling about in the plants substrate level.

Agree, yes, depending of course on the plant species and the extent of the floating plants. I have Java Moss and Java Fern and Anubias with no trouble but these are low-light plants. I also have chain swords, which are moderate, and provided the tank light is moderate to begin with, the floating plants have not proven to be a problem. See photo below for illustration.

Attachments

• 40g April 20-18 (2).JPG
    40g April 20-18 (2).JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 53

Most reactions

trending

Back