Corydoras swarzi not eating bloodworms

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So I recently got a group of 6 corydora swarzi in my 60l planted community tank. They settled in quit quickly, are active and enjoy foods such as high quality flake and pallet. They have even been eating froze tublex worms, but they eat the bloodworm and then spit them out through their gills. The fish are at least a year old and quit chunky when I got them.

Has anyone ever had a similar issue? Or could it just be the brand.

Bloodworms are actually not a good food for any fish, and should only be fed once a week maximum. Cories usually go after these, but the fact they don't seem to is not a problem, be thankful! You are better using other foods, of which Fluval Bug Bites is probably at the top of the list. Second I would use Omega One Shrimp Pellets. Both of these have no cereal meal or fish meal, and they are lower in protein (in the 30's %) which is perfect for cories that can often develop problems from too much protein.

Cories do not have teeth, so chewing up worms is not that easy. Analysis of their stomach contents for wild fish indicates insects and insect larvae as their prime food (hence the Bug Bites), followed by crustaceans (like shrimp). Worms are way down the list.

Bloodworms are not worms, but are insect larvae. The name reflects their shape, but not their nature.

They may be a little large for the Corys.

Your Schwartzi may just be reacting to their size. If it doesn't work, move on to other foods.

Bloodworms are not worms, but are insect larvae. The name reflects their shape, but not their nature.

Yes, that is true, sorry, a too-quick reaction. They are still not good food though, according to Ian and a biologist I knew on another forum.

Don't worry I feed bloodworms once/twice a week. Today I bought Sera insect flakes (larvae), the closest thing I could find to Fluval Bug bites. The corries seem to love them. They get a mix of plates and pallets sera and hakari. In the future I hope to introduce live food in their diet, but more on that in the future

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back