Corydoras Stuck In Juwel Internal Filter?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

glasgowgirl_786

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, today I noticed one of my bronze Cory's in my juwel rio 180 internal filter, I have no idea how he got in there as obviously the slots are way too thin and the water doesn't go above the maximum line. I'm thinking there might be a hole in the bottom he got through? Anyway I don't have a heater in there as my juwel heater didn't seem to be working so took it out ages ago and put my own on the tank. I noticed him through the grill through the grill in the top but when I lifted the lid he swam back down & I can't get down there (behind the power head) as my hand won't fit it etc. I left him there this morning as I thought he got in so surely he can get out right?! But he's still not appeared in the tank and im getting a little worried now, any ideas on how to help/get him out before he dies?? :(

Thank you!!

There is a small crappy net you can buy from pets at home. You will have to extend the handle but it should Fit in.

kevcann said:
There is a small crappy net you can buy from pets at home. You will have to extend the handle but it should Fit in.

Try and refrain from swearing on this forum but a good suggestion.

ive same tank cant see how he would get in there
my first thought of getting him/her out safely was getting a siphon / hose going so water is flowing out into a bucket or something and sucking him/her up?

maybe not getting it through the hose maybe just enough to pin it to it and pull it up

You could try getting a piece of weighted plastic and cutting it to the exact size of the filter, Attach pieces of cotton or string at the four corners then lower it in vertically. When the plastic touches the bottom, pull two of the strings so that the plastic slides onto the bottom of the filter and after checking the cory is above the plastic raise it up bringing the cory with it.

I see this all very clearly in my head but I can see it is fraught with difficulties; but you get the gist.

PS Not sure c++++y is actually swearing, or even mildly offensive but hey, whatever.

Thanks for the suggestions! Will have a look at the pets at home website but the not sure if it will fit as I don't really have room to even manouver a net or anything :s he's a fair size Cory n I really don't wana hurt him by sucking him up in my gravel cleaner or anything lol, plus my gravel cleaner is too wide to fit in there - I have no idea how he got in either! I was hoping he'd get out himself too but no sign of the silly guy yet... That sounds like a lot of hard work & careful planning & precision there fishaholic lol.

I'll take a picture of the bit he's stuck in in the morning so you's have an idea of how un wide it is!
The 3rd problem I have with this tank. Not had it long and as great as it looks my heater wasn't working and doesn't even have numbers on the dial & then it started randomly humming which randomly stopped again & not my poor Cory has somehow managed to become trapped. If I had known I would have all these problems I would have bought another tank but I guess I was just sold on the rios looks and a few good reviews - it is probably just my luck (N)

Heater randomly humming sounds like its actually working maybe, tank heaters are rarely on all the time, they just come on when tank temperature drops and heater comes on to raise temp to desired level.

Do you have a thermometer in your tank to check temperature? 
If not, i'd suggest to have one so that you have a good idea of your tank water temp.

You can't take the internal filter apart at all, sometimes these internals comes apart in sections for access to media, impeller etc

i've cory's and never had this issue i'd say bad luck with that.
Strange the noise has stopped without getting to know what it was?
I can't help you with the heater as i have a separate internal one i use 
media is accessed from top as with impeller to power head

what about holding the power head down on the bottom grills and blowing him back up?

remove the whole lighting unit fill up past the filter housing first as well

Stimo said:
i've cory's and never had this issue i'd say bad luck with that.
Strange the noise has stopped without getting to know what it was?
I can't help you with the heater as i have a separate internal one i use media is accessed from top as with impeller to power head
what about holding the power head down on the bottom grills and blowing him back up?
remove the whole lighting unit fill up past the filter housing first as well
That's a good idea fill the tank right up and leave it, he more than likely swim out on his own especially if you put some food in the tank

Sorry the heater wasn't humming the power head was! I have a two thermomemeters in tank so know my temp. That's a good idea thanks for that suggestion! But will others not swim in if I do that?

glasgowgirl_786 said:
Sorry the heater wasn't humming the power head was! I have a two thermomemeters in tank so know my temp. That's a good idea thanks for that suggestion! But will others not swim in if I do that?
Cannot answer that one. But it's worth a try.you could put something in the tank to separate the other fish from that section of tank.

I'll need to go get a divider tomorrow, thanks for the help :)

Not sure about this whole internal filter at all I got a female betta today & she's gone and sat underneath the filter (I didn't block it with the sand in case the catfish managed to find his own way out) so hopefully she won't swim up into the filter housing aswell & she'll just swim back out into the tank! Damn thing..

can you post a pic of where the problem is?

I got him out stimo :) opened up the lid this morning and he was sat on the wool pad at the top so I quickly blocked off his normal exit through the hole down into where the heater is & scooped him up n put him back in the tank! Blocked the bottom of the filter with my sand now so hopefully there won't be any repeat performances of that again lol

Thank you so much for your help! Much appreciated :D

I had this problem a few times.

It was a number of years ago and I did lose a few cories due to not seeing them the first couple of times and squashing them after a clean out.

I eventually pulled my internal out and bought externals.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back