Corydoras skin disease

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ThomasTT

Reaction score
Hey, I just recently got an aquarium from a reseller.
The reseller had the aquarium for 1/2 months.
Now I have it for 2 weeks.

The aquarium is 60 liters,
I have 6 corydoras and 5 guppies.

Now I have just checked up on the aquarium, and ai have seen one of my corydorases skin looking like this.

Why is this, what's wrong and what do I have to do?
I change my water 30%/50% every week.

Attachments

• PXL_20220102_141830408.jpg
    PXL_20220102_141830408.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 95
Welcome to the forum :)

Please post your water parameters. I will help us get a better idea of the situation of your tank. Was the tank cycled when you added the fish?

Hey, I cannot post the water parameters. I don't have the equipment yet. For this, I always go to the store to check up on the parameters.

The corydoras were always in the aquarium.
I just added the guppies 1 week later. And after that, 2 days later, I recycled the water 30%

Hey, I cannot post the water parameters. I don't have the equipment yet. For this, I always go to the store to check up on the parameters.

The corydoras were always in the aquarium.
I just added the guppies 1 week later. And after that, 2 days later, I recycled the water 30%
What did the cory look like before? Are any of the others acting strange and are the guppies fine as well?

What did the cory look like before? Are any of the others acting strange and are the guppies fine as well?
The other corys look normal, guppies look normal aswell. The corys sometimes swim fast up to the surface. That's something strange aswell.

The corys dont move a lot, the store told me this is normal. They move more at night. They are always scared when I'm at the front of the aquarium.

The other corys look normal, guppies look normal aswell. The corys sometimes swim fast up to the surface. That's something strange aswell.

The corys dont move a lot, the store told me this is normal. They move more at night. They are always scared when I'm at the front of the aquarium.
To me the skin looks normal.

lets see what the more experienced users have to say
@Colin_T
@WhistlingBadger
@Fishmanic

Corys rush to the surface to breathe air. Nothing strange there.

I'm not sure what to suggest for the Cory. I can't see a problem clearly. You're doing a fish-in cycle, and how much will depend on how the transfer of the tank was handled. Keep the regular water changing running like clockwork and ride it out. A test kit will give you info, but you are solidly stocked with a need for the tank to come alive, readings or not.

I doubt your tank is cycled yet given the timeline in the OP, especially if you cleaned the filter media after getting the tank.
As other stated, Cory looks normal. They will often rest after getting the Zoomies, they are catfish.

I would:

• Get a test kit
  • Do a 75% water change and substrate cleaning daily until you can test that ammonia and nitrate are 0.0%
  • Do not add any new fish

I would:

• Get a test kit
  • Do a 75% water change and substrate cleaning daily until you can test that ammonia and nitrate are 0.0%
  • Do not add any new fish
I'd be less concerned about the cycle, as important as it is. I would do 25-30% every second day, and not clean the substrate at all. I would be careful feeding - once a day and about half what you think they need. We all overfeed, especially when we're new at this.

You can use time as a tool. It should take about 6 weeks to get to stability - less if you go with live plants. That's a bit of work, for sure, but the tank isn't very big, so the water changes are easy to manage.

I started fishkeeping before test kits were the thing, and have never done a fishless cycle. I've also never lost a fish during cycling - slow but steady wins the game, with an emphasis on steady. Do not add more fish though. You already have a very full tank.

The Corydoras catfish is covered in excess mucous that is caused by something in the water irritating the fish. The most common cause is poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or wrong pH).

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If there's no improvement after a couple of big water changes, post more pictures.

The Corydoras catfish is covered in excess mucous that is caused by something in the water irritating the fish. The most common cause is poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or wrong pH).

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If there's no improvement after a couple of big water changes, post more pictures.
I don't see this excess of mucus or.any skinissue, but doing a fish-in cycle with Corys isn't a good idea.

They are quite sensitive for all Nytrogyn-compounds.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back