CORYDORAS SCHULTZEI "BLACK VENEZUELA"

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CaT209

Reaction score
I found some CORYDORAS SCHULTZEI "BLACK VENEZUELA" at the LFS today...
been wanting these guys for a while now. was going in to get a different Corydoras when I started finding all the new arrivals... Added 4 black venezuelans to my 55 community that already has 6 Corydoras in it.. 1 emerald and 5 orange venezuelan Corydoras.. they also have green laser Corydoras and I'll most likely go back for 5 to 6 of them for the 55 gallon...

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_145140996~2.jpg
    IMG_20211013_145140996~2.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 2,083
  • IMG_20211013_145247737~2.jpg
    IMG_20211013_145247737~2.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20211013_145226704~2.jpg
    IMG_20211013_145226704~2.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 46
I found some CORYDORAS SCHULTZEI "BLACK VENEZUELA" at the LFS today...
been wanting these guys for a while now. was going in to get a different Corydoras when I started finding all the new arrivals... Added 4 black venezuelans to my 55 community that already has 6 Corydoras in it.. 1 emerald and 5 orange venezuelan Corydoras.. they also have green laser Corydoras and I'll most likely go back for 5 to 6 of them for the 55 gallon...
wow, they're like an extra-brown bronze cory

wow, they're like an extra-brown bronze cory
They are practically black. With some dark dark orangish red fins...
They have a bunch of rare species of Corydoras right now.. I want the green lasers but at $20 per fish they get expensive fast.. I could get 10 to 18 of a couple different Corydoras for the price of 5 green lasers. I found 4 Corydoras leucomelas (on right in 1st attached pic, plus sterbai and similus in the 2nd pic) last week. Now these guys are making me want to get a 20 gallon long tank going for spawning.
Corydoras are like Pokemon you gotta have em all .. lol...

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_201641038~2.jpg
    IMG_20211013_201641038~2.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20211013_202052781~2.jpg
    IMG_20211013_202052781~2.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 45
They are practically black. With some dark dark orangish red fins...
They have a bunch of rare species of Corydoras right now.. I want the green lasers but at $20 per fish they get expensive fast.. I could get 10 to 18 of a couple different Corydoras for the price of 5 green lasers. I found 4 Corydoras leucomelas (on right in 1st attached pic, plus sterbai and similus in the 2nd pic) last week. Now these guys are making me want to get a 20 gallon long tank going for spawning.
Corydoras are like Pokemon you gotta have em all .. lol...
yeah its just that the 'green" cories in my tank look almost exactly like that but more orange!
is there a way to determine if 2 species of cory can crossbreed
omg at lfs i just found the best price ever, panda cory for 3.99
at petsmart they are like 7dollars : D)
how expensive are your pandas?

You can leave the Venezuela part.
They are C.schultzei "black" a man made / linebred colorvariaty not found in nature.

C.venezuelanus (the orange ones), Schultzei, green lasers are all in the Aeneusgroup and will crossbreed. This will quite certain occure when there are too small groups of their own.

Therefor I prefer larger shoals instead of Cory-collections. I have 4 Corytanks with only Corys that won't hybridise or one single species.

In Asia Corycollections are more common (watch youtube). I understand the urge though. They are all sooooo beautiful and nice fish. These look great.

You can leave the Venezuela part.
They are C.schultzei "black" a man made / linebred colorvariaty not found in nature.

C.venezuelanus (the orange ones), Schultzei, green lasers are all in the Aeneusgroup and will crossbreed. This will quite certain occure when there are too small groups of their own.

Therefor I prefer larger shoals instead of Cory-collections. I have 4 Corytanks with only Corys that won't hybridise or one single species.

In Asia Corycollections are more common (watch youtube). I understand the urge though. They are all sooooo beautiful and nice fish. These look great.
Was waiting for someone to come along and look down from your ivory tower...
Whatever dude it's a hobby and they are my fish.. your opinion on hybrids isn't wanted or needed. I'll enjoy my fish how I want... you killjoy people like you are the reason people leave forums.. your obsession with being a purist over fish names or how it wasn't in nature therefore it's a abomination is annoying..

I'm done with this.. I wanted to share some happiness and get some purist fish need trying to take it away...

Goodbye...

Edit to remove offensive language

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm done with this.. I wanted to share some happiness and get some purist fish need trying to take it away...

Goodbye...
I don't think anyone was telling you that you was doing anything wrong. Just letting you know that there was a possibility of this happening. Also the person who replied above them was specifically asking if there was any way they could cross breed so the reply was mostly in answer to that I think.

Honestly I only learnt about this a little while ago from another post on here so if I was purchasing these fish I would have liked to be told that information.

As far as I can see nobody was suggesting that you shouldn't be doing what you were doing? Just passing on some information that you may or may not have know and answering a question someone else had posted.

Maybe I missed something before this. I would recommend maybe just using the ignore button rather than leaving completely?

The Cory's are beautiful by the way. I have always tended to just be boring and go for bronze Cory's because they are easy to get and I know how to care for them well. Might have to try switching it up a bit in the future though.

Was waiting for someone to come along and look down from your ivory tower...
Whatever dude it's a hobby and they are my fish.. your opinion on hybrids isn't wanted or needed. I'll enjoy my fish how I want... F off you killjoy people like you are the reason people leave forums.. your obsession with being a purist over fish names or how it wasn't in nature therefore it's a abomination is annoying..

Goodbye...
Uhhhh I tried to give a bit of accurate information you maybe wasn't aware of and I wasn't rude or offensive in any way. You are.

There is no need to react as if you're stung by a bee and react in this offensive way.

I am not on an Ivory Tower, I am not a "dude" and think you maybe should reread my post with different specs on. Or were you waiting for someone with a post like this so you could start the offensive.

Why did you post in the first place? Only to hear owws and awws about your Corys, which look really great as I said.

Be normal and show a bit of respect for people who react on your post, even if it is not the expected or wanted way. Even that could be told in a normal way.

This forum is about sharing info and helping others. That is the only thing I tried to do mentioning my own tanks to tell how I try to prevent hybridising. If you don't mind then you simply don't.

Last edited:
Firstly there is absolutely no call for the language used.

As for the enlightened opinion that you took offense to, well that is the beauty of a forum like this. It's a nice thing to have not just opinions of your fish but to share opinions of how the fish came about...even if that flies in the face of your own thoughts, all opinions about a fish and its parentage/bloodline should be respected. It is how you learn things about what is swimming within your aquarium and therefore should be treated with respect regardless of how you personally feel on the subject.

is there a way to determine if 2 species of cory can crossbreed

Yes.

Taxonomy involves the relationships of species, and those descended from the same ancestor species are deemed to be a lineage, or clade. A distinct lineage is classified as a genus, the first name of the two name (binomial) classification used for all life. The species in a genus therefore have the closest relationship and are more likely to hybridize. But this depends upon circumstances, and before going into that there is another factor that needs to be considered with respect to the genus.

Above I noted that a lineage is a group of species that all descended from the same ancestor species, and in such cases the clade/lineage/genus is termed monophyletic. The genus Corydoras is polyphyletic, which means that the species now classified in this genus descended from more than one ancestor. Nine lineages within the present genus have been identified, and no one doubts this because every phylogenetic analysis to date has confirmed it. Eventually there will be nine distinct genera in the family Corydoradinae; one will be Corydoras, but the vast majority of the 465 known species will be in a different genus from the true Corydoras species. Aspidoras is within this classification (lineage 2), and Scleromystax (lineage 3), and the three former Brochis species are in subclade 1 of lineage 8.

So, to the question of cross-breeding...Ian Fuller has noted that Corydoras species within the same lineage that are maintained in decent-sized groups of each species with both genders present are much less likely to cross-breed because their natural instincts lead them to spawn with their own species if male and female are present. The hybridization is much more likely to occur if one species has only males or only females, and the other species in that lineage has the opposite gender. I have certainly had this occur in my tank of cories, where a female (on her own due to last survivor) has spawned with a male of another species which happened to be one of two males of that species in the tank. But you do not want to encourage this, so maintaining decent-sized groups (including male and female in numbers) of each species should prevent hybridization, though nothing is ever cut and dried. Keeping the species separated, i.e., only one species to a tank, is obviously the safest course of action.

I can further explain any of this if asked, or why hybridization is not encouraged but is adamantly opposed by biologists.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back