corydoras problem something is wrong

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I would say they go less at the surface now that I added the airstone but some of them are still doing it.

One of the catfish simply looks like it is looking for food at the surface.
The other catfish that is popping its head out of the water is the one to watch. It looks ok from a health perspective but it shouldn't be poking its head out of the water like that.

A longer video showing the fish near the bottom and feeding might give more information but at this stage I would say monitor the problem and see how it goes.

----------------
It's been going on for a month, has it gotten worse during that time?

Are you adding any chemicals/ plant fertilisers to the tank?

----------------
Gill flukes can be treated with salt. Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in the tank for 4 weeks and then stop using it.
I fed them this morning, I will post a video tomorrow. Isn't salt dangerous for corys? Would I put them in a hospital tank for that? I heard salt is dangerous for plants and it would br easier to treat a 20 gallon than a 55 gallon...

I am adding seachem flourish ferts and it has not gotten worst I would say it stayed the same, 2 of them always looked a little pale and looked sick wich is weird.

You leave the fish in the tank and treat all fish and tanks at the same time.

The dose rate I suggested for rock salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) is safe for all fish, plants, shrimp, snails and filter bacteria.

You leave the fish in the tank and treat all fish and tanks at the same time.

The dose rate I suggested for rock salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) is safe for all fish, plants, shrimp, snails and filter bacteria.
Ok good thank you!

I talked to someone on a facebook group who said salt would not kill the parasite and that it would just slow the process of it killing the fish. Did you ever used salt with succes for gills flukes @Colin_T ? One of the fish has something on it's side it looks like a small worm and on the other side the cory looks like it has too much mucus.

Attachments

• 20200920_153920.jpg
    20200920_153920.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200920_154017.jpg
    20200920_154017.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 84
If you want to try salt then do so. If you want to try things suggested by people on facebook, then do that. The information is there and the choice is yours.

Monitor this. I see cories do this frequently, though I will admit that they are not quite as frantic as the cory on the left that keeps breaching the surface.
Be careful that you are not trying to fix a problem that does not exist. I have c.paleatus in a tank with frogbit and they behave as in your video all the time - especially around feeding time. Usually not as frantic as the one. By all means treat with salt and the dosage suggested will do no harm.

I actually don't really have the choice since I live in canada and we don't have medication... Since it can't harm my fish I will use the the technique you mentionned @Colin_T . Thanks a lot for your advice

I actually don't really have the choice since I live in canada and we don't have medication... Since it can't harm my fish I will use the the technique you mentionned @Colin_T . Thanks a lot for your advice
I rarely enter threads in opposition to Colin's advice as he knows much more about disease than I do, no question. But I would not use salt here. And, just why is salt even suggested? I do not see evidence of gill flukes, and if it was gill flukes (I had this with a group of wild cories several years ago) there would be flashing and very red gills--it was very obvious. Prazipro dealt with this.

Cories will also go through this activity when spawning; not that I am suggesting this is what is happening here, just noting the "behaviour" is really not all that unusual. Don't fall into the trap of dumping substances into the water without knowing exactly the issue, if there even is one. Salt does affect these fish, so immediately you are adding more stress to them regardless. If it does no good, even worse.

I rarely enter threads in opposition to Colin's advice as he knows much more about disease than I do, no question. But I would not use salt here. And, just why is salt even suggested? I do not see evidence of gill flukes, and if it was gill flukes (I had this with a group of wild cories several years ago) there would be flashing and very red gills--it was very obvious. Prazipro dealt with this.

Cories will also go through this activity when spawning; not that I am suggesting this is what is happening here, just noting the "behaviour" is really not all that unusual. Don't fall into the trap of dumping substances into the water without knowing exactly the issue, if there even is one. Salt does affect these fish, so immediately you are adding more stress to them regardless. If it does no good, even worse.
Thank you byron this is helpful. I always had 2 weak cories that looked sick when I bought them for some reason, one of them died today, the other one will die soon I can see it... After thinking a lot about this today and observing them, I won't add salt to this aquarium. The rest of the cories look fine right now

I will keep a close eye on them and if there is a big evidence of gill flukes I will treat the tank

I will keep a close eye on them and if there is a big evidence of gill flukes I will treat the tank

It was very obvious when I had it. The cories were more inactive than active, sitting on the sand respirating very rapidly. The operculum (gill covers) were extended, and the gills were bright blood red.

Fish die from all sorts of reasons. Water changes (increase) are not going to do any harm and may help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back