Corydoras fulleri (C115 and C116) Tencatt et al, 2021

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Byron

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
"Among the coded species recorded for the rio Madeira basin, there are two morphotypes, Corydoras sp. C115 and C116, which can be distinguished from each other by the presence of a large, rounded, black patch on anterior portion of flank in C116, which is absent in C115. Despite these morphotypes having been initially considered as two distinct species, their captive breeding suggested that they are a single species with variable colour pattern. The analysis of material from the Manuripe and Madre de Dios river basins in Peru revealed the presence of specimens fitting Corydoras sp. C115/C116 morphological and colour patterns, and allowed its confirmation as an undescribed species, which is formally described herein."

Luiz Fernando Caserta Tencatt, Sérgio Alexandre dos Santos, Hans-Georg Evers and Marcelo R. Britto (2021), "Corydoras fulleri (Siluriformes: Callichthyidae), a new catfish species from the rio Madeira basin, Peru," Journal of Fish Biology 2021, pp. 1-15.​

Photos of aquarium specimens in life demonstrate the variable pattern/colour in wild fish. I can't figure out how to copy the photos, so I will post the link to the free paper and you can scroll through to find them. Photos of the habitat creeks are also included. This species is named in hour of Ian Fuller, and I know from his comments on CW that he was very honoured of this recognition. This is a lineage 1 species, and Ian has commented that the males in species of this lineage are territorial. It is a long-nose species.

I am attaching photos of specimens from Planet Catfish. The data there lists eight members who have spawned this species (as C115 and/or C116).

Attachments

• Corydoras fulleri 1.jpg
    Corydoras fulleri 1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Corydoras fulleri 2.jpg
    Corydoras fulleri 2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Corydoras fulleri 3.jpg
    Corydoras fulleri 3.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Corydoras fulleri 4.jpg
    Corydoras fulleri 4.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 40
Oooh I like this one 🤩

Like the famous yellow M once said : I'm lovin' it

Finally, one I have seen! I couldn't afford it, but I saw it and got to watch it in a well set up tank at a friend's.

@Byron - don't worry about winding @itiwhetu up. For every forum member who plays the grumpy old muppet watching the show, there are a bunch of us who love this stuff. I do the cookie monster in front of a big plate of Corydoras information with these postings.

Most reactions

Back