FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
2x Tank of the Month🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
many questions about cory eggs if they're fertile or infertile or covered in fungus...

So i snapped some photos to help others see the difference.

This is 24 hours after the eggs have been laid. This is the earliest you can tell if the eggs are fertile or not.

Notice the eggs are 2 different colours.
20200713_214212.jpg

20200713_214158.jpg

20200713_214229.jpg

The white eggs are INFERTILE while the darker/clear tan eggs are FERTILE.

At this point, it is best to remove the eggs that are infertile as they are more likely to become fungused.

This is a fungused egg I removed. This will spread to the other eggs. Check a couple times a day for eggs that look like this.
20200713_214341.jpg

Best ways to prevent fungus:

Methylene Blue.
Alder Cones.
Aeration to the container/tank the eggs are in.
Specialized species of shrimp known to eat the unhealthy eggs but not healthy ones.
Immediate removal of any eggs with fungus.

Ya the eggs that I get never get that dark but it is probably because I have albinos.

many questions about cory eggs if they're fertile or infertile or covered in fungus...

So i snapped some photos to help others see the difference.

This is 24 hours after the eggs have been laid. This is the earliest you can tell if the eggs are fertile or not.

Notice the eggs are 2 different colours.
View attachment 109836
View attachment 109838
View attachment 109839

The white eggs are INFERTILE while the darker/clear tan eggs are FERTILE.

At this point, it is best to remove the eggs that are infertile as they are more likely to become fungused.

This is a fungused egg I removed. This will spread to the other eggs. Check a couple times a day for eggs that look like this.
View attachment 109837

Best ways to prevent fungus:

Methylene Blue.
Alder Cones.
Aeration to the container/tank the eggs are in.
Specialized species of shrimp known to eat the unhealthy eggs but not healthy ones.
Immediate removal of any eggs with fungus.
Sorry to pester you with more questions! But going to do it anyway :D

In the first photo, is it the two eggs at the bottom that are infertile? And the others fertile?

Yay! I got it right!

Ill be more ruthless when I sort mine again tomorrow, a few looked sorta white, but also sorta clear/tan-ish around the outside? So I wasn't sure, and didn't want to throw away a potentially viable egg. I hoped after 36 hours it would be more obvious, you know.

Yeah sometimes ones that I'm on the fence about ill leave just in case too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back