Corydoras diet

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ive

Reaction score
Hi! :rolleyes:
I have two corys and I am worried about their feeding. I feed flakes and plankton for all my fishes. Some but little of it reach the gravel. They seem to be healthy. Do I need to guive them special food?

Hello Ive,

I'm glad to see that you are concerned about your cory cats. Some people think they will fend for themselves without special attention but that is not true. :no:

They are, however, very easy to please. I feed mine spirulina discs, goldfish sinking granules, shrimp pellets (which also sink) and blackworms. Corys love blackworms and will dig in the gravel in search of any that may have gotten away. :D

Inchworm has given you good advice, but it's also easy to take care of a cory's diet by giving them special sinking wafers. I feed mine the Hikari brand, and they love them. They're specially formulated and designed for bottom feeders, and there's even a photo of a cory on the package. :p

Don't forget corys are nocturnal hence you can feed them just before lights out ;) and corys love digging for black worm

Thanks to all!
I am worried because I see my corys passing near the food on the gravel and not eating it. I don't know if they eventually eat it, but if they don't, the food will get rotten.

Are them algae eaters?

First, Ive, I want to give you a link to a site that will help you identify your catfish. If it is a cory cat, like you think it is, it is not an algae eater.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/core/index.htm

At least you are getting food down to the bottom where they can eat it. You didn't say what kind of food you are giving them, so I can't really advise you, but is it possible that you are just putting in too much so that they eat a bit and are leaving the rest?

You said that they look healthy. Normally, corys will just sit around much of the time but some of the time (particularly at night) they will swim around happily and root around in the gravel. If they are doing that, there may be food left over from the other fishes that they are eating.

Remove the uneaten food; do not let it spoil and polute the water. Just watch them carefully and try feeding them less. Two corys will not eat very much, after all.

:rolleyes: Thanks Inchworm!

Thanks for the link. Is good when somebody points you to a good web link!!! There are tons of good and bad pages where a newbe like me can get lost.

First, Ive, I want to give you a link to a site that will help you identify your catfish. If it is a cory cat, like you think it is, it is not an algae eater.
As you said :thumbs: , it is not an algae eater. It's a Corydoras trilineatus and likes blackworms.

You said that they look healthy. Normally, corys will just sit around much of the time but some of the time (particularly at night) they will swim around happily and root around in the gravel. If they are doing that, there may be food left over from the other fishes that they are eating.
Mine are very active. Most of the time swiming up and down and vacuuming the gravel and plants. They take their good rest too.

You didn't say what kind of food you are giving them, so I can't really advise you, but is it possible that you are just putting in too much so that they eat a bit and are leaving the rest?
I feed my fishes with Tetramin rich mix flakes and Wardleys Plankton (it has a cory icon on the label). I think they must be eating, because I have them for 11 days and are alive and kicking.

But, to be sure, I will buy some blackworm pellets or waffers for them. :nod:

Thanks again!

Hello again Ive.

I'm glad that you liked the link I sent and happy to know your corys are healthy and eating.

Why not try to get live blackworms or tubiflex worms for you fish. All mine are crazy about them! If you can't get the live ones, perhaps your dealer will have the frozen ones which are the next best thing.

Feeding live food to your fish does sound a bit icky, :eek: but it is not as bad as it sounds and is the best thing for them. :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back