Corydoras and API melafix ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishyyyy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I have noticed one of the peppered Corys has some sort of wound on its tail. I am not sure if it has cut it on something in the tank or has been bitten. Either way, I left it a few days to see if it got better by it self but hasn’t. Is API Melafix, that treats damaged fins, okay for peppered corys as I’ve heard these fish can be sensitive to some medication.
Thank you any help is appreciated

Hello :)
First of all, do materchanges, 25% of your tank volume every 3 days until whole volume is changed.
Then, ask Api if Melafix is OK to Corydoras.

Do not use Melafix or the similar Primafix with fish like cories, characins, and frankly most other soft water species. These products rarely do anything, except by luck, and all medications do negatively impact these fish so the fewer the better.

Do a major water change--provided parameters which are GH, pH and temperature are relative the same between tap water and tank water, a change of 70-75% at one go is way more effective. And may be all that is needed.

As to the fin, see if you can see what may have caused it...another fish nipping? Sitting motionless in front of the aquarium for an extended period (the fish forget you are there if you make no movement at all) can sometimes revel things we don't expect in behaviour. I would watch for fungus, which sometimes appears on injured cory fins, and there is one effective and safe way to deal with that if it occurs, which I will explain if needed.

Melafix is completely useless stuff. Get some indian almond leaves in there and keep the water clean.

70-75% waterchange at one go is risky to fishes !

I will do some more changes, at the minute I do 25% weekly so I’ll do a few more a week to keep the water clean. Also I don’t know my exact parameters as of right now as I’ve ran out of the test kit and just ordered a new one. However the last time i checked like 2 weeks ago it wasn’t of any concern.

@Fishyyyy please what are :
pH
GH
KH
NH3
NO2
NO2
as precisely as possible.
As stated above I don’t know them as of right now as I’ve ran out of test kit. I have ordered some. However when I last did them the values weren’t of any concern.

Do not use Melafix or the similar Primafix with fish like cories, characins, and frankly most other soft water species. These products rarely do anything, except by luck, and all medications do negatively impact these fish so the fewer the better.

Do a major water change--provided parameters which are GH, pH and temperature are relative the same between tap water and tank water, a change of 70-75% at one go is way more effective. And may be all that is needed.

As to the fin, see if you can see what may have caused it...another fish nipping? Sitting motionless in front of the aquarium for an extended period (the fish forget you are there if you make no movement at all) can sometimes revel things we don't expect in behaviour. I would watch for fungus, which sometimes appears on injured cory fins, and there is one effective and safe way to deal with that if it occurs, which I will explain if needed.
I disagree with that Byron.
Even Ian Fuller advises the use of Melafix in case Red Blotch Disease. (together with huge waterchanges). Not as a med but in one way it seems to let Corys adapt better.

I disagree with that Byron.
Even Ian Fuller advises the use of Melafix in case Red Blotch Disease. (together with huge waterchanges). Not as a med but in one way it seems to let Corys adapt better.

I certainly won't argue with Ian. But I have a basic premise that I do not add anything to a tank with fish unless it is necessary to deal with a serious issue affecting the fish. I've not lost fish for years (other than probable old age) since I decided on this approach.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back