Corydoras aeneus "Venezuela"

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CaT209

Reaction score
Found 3 Corydoras today at a local pet store. They had them labeled as Red Sailfin Corydoras.... Corydoras aeneus "Venezuela" to be specific

Went out looking for some panda cory's, didn't have any luck with that, so I went over to a local pet store hoping they might still have some rhombo(snakeskin) barbs still no luck.. but I stumbled across the orange venezuelan Corydoras and I couldn't pass up on them, the 2 I found at a different store 3 weeks ago now have buddies. For a total of 5.. and 11 total Corydoras

Attachments

• IMG_20210513_172738994~2.jpg
    IMG_20210513_172738994~2.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210513_154319151~2.jpg
    IMG_20210513_154319151~2.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20210513_153253856~2.jpg
    IMG_20210513_153253856~2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 70
They are great fish.
Correct name is C.venezuelanus
Formerly seen as a regional C.aeneus, but a specific species since some times (in the aeneus group btw)
They are the ONLY "Venezuela" cory.
The "Black Venezuela" has nothing to do with this fish nor Venezuela. Those are "manmade" C.schultzei black.

They are great fish.
Correct name is C.venezuelanus
Formerly seen as a regional C.aeneus, but a specific species since some times (in the aeneus group btw)
They are the ONLY "Venezuela" cory.
The "Black Venezuela" has nothing to do with this fish nor Venezuela. Those are "manmade" C.schultzei black.
Aren't the black ones from Peru originally..? I read they are mainly tank breed but there was a few wild one's originally.
Wouldn't surprise me it's a "aquarium fish", selective breeding to get the colors that make the fish more sellable.

Other than the popular corydoras I have noticed a lot of them never have their specific names and always seem miss labeled in stores. The first 2 I got the guy called them black venezuelan cory's ( obviously wrong ) this last store was a little closer with the red Sailfin label but still not totally specific and more a good name for a sale. Because they aren't red fins they are orange.
They do stand out against the sand substrate and the colors get a lot better the bigger they get.
I didn't expect to have them but they are great..

The problem with Corydoras is you can never have enough... Lol..

Aren't the black ones from Peru originally..? I read they are mainly tank breed but there was a few wild one's originally.
Wouldn't surprise me it's a "aquarium fish", selective breeding to get the colors that make the fish more sellable.

Other than the popular corydoras I have noticed a lot of them never have their specific names and always seem miss labeled in stores. The first 2 I got the guy called them black venezuelan cory's ( obviously wrong ) this last store was a little closer with the red Sailfin label but still not totally specific and more a good name for a sale. Because they aren't red fins they are orange.
They do stand out against the sand substrate and the colors get a lot better the bigger they get.
I didn't expect to have them but they are great..

The problem with Corydoras is you can never have enough... Lol..
This tells the story

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back