Corydora White Spots

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hecate98

Reaction score
Hi, hopefully this is the correct place to post this but I was looking for some help.
I have a fresh water turtle tank set up with two musk turtle hatchlings, amano and cherry shrimp, four guppies and three black corydoras. We have had the entire tank set up for approximately five months and have had the turtles and shrimp in there for four months: the guppies and corydoras were added around two months ago.
Recently I have noticed that one of the corydoras started developing paler patches of skin, noticeable against his blackish/red skin, and looked him over today to find a couple of white spots. I haven't been able to find a clear answer on what this might be and was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some insight??

I have been monitoring the pH, ammonia and nitrate levels weekly, and with the exception of a brief pH excursion, the levels have all been normal.
20201125_123959.jpg
20201125_124006.jpg

Many thanks.

This looks to be bacterial, is there a way you can separate the ones affected and treat with antibiotics such as kanaplex or furan?
Just because I don't know if the meds are turtle safe.

Also, turtles can be really messy and may not be suitable to keep cories with, mostly because cories are more sensitive to failing water quality.

Unfortunately I don't have a separate tank atm but will look into getting one. To try and combat the turtle mess we've been doing 50% water changes every week; these are our first pets so it's been a little bit of trial and error tbh

This looks to be bacterial, is there a way you can separate the ones affected and treat with antibiotics such as kanaplex or furan?
Just because I don't know if the meds are turtle safe.

Also, turtles can be really messy and may not be suitable to keep cories with, mostly because cories are more sensitive to failing water quality.
Thanks for the advice though, I will do some research into treatment options and try and get a separate small treatment tank

Unfortunately I don't have a separate tank atm but will look into getting one. To try and combat the turtle mess we've been doing 50% water changes every week; these are our first pets so it's been a little bit of trial and error tbh
A second tank would be best, a 20 gallon long would work, get a group of 6 of the cories and add the guppies too, keep the tank for the turtles.

For separation for treatment you can opt for a clean plastic tote for the time being, run an airstone in it.

A second tank would be best, a 20 gallon long would work, get a group of 6 of the cories and add the guppies too, keep the tank for the turtles.

For separation for treatment you can opt for a clean plastic tote for the time being, run an airstone in it.
Perfect, thank you

Don't treat them with anti-biotics because it isn't bacterial.

Anti-biotics should only be used on known bacterial infections that have not responded to normal fish treatments. Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics has lead to drug resistant bacteria that kill people, animals, birds, reptiles and fish.

--------------------
The fish is covered in excess mucous (creamy white film over its body and fins).

The fish looks like it has been attacked, probably by the turtles, which eat fish. Subsequently the two groups (reptiles and fish) should not be kept together.

--------------------
If you have a water quality problem, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until it is under control. Then do a 75% every week, or more often if needed. If you are keeping turtles, then do a water change and gravel clean the substrate at least twice a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Hi, hopefully this is the correct place to post this but I was looking for some help.
I have a fresh water turtle tank set up with two musk turtle hatchlings, amano and cherry shrimp, four guppies and three black corydoras. We have had the entire tank set up for approximately five months and have had the turtles and shrimp in there for four months: the guppies and corydoras were added around two months ago.
Recently I have noticed that one of the corydoras started developing paler patches of skin, noticeable against his blackish/red skin, and looked him over today to find a couple of white spots. I haven't been able to find a clear answer on what this might be and was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some insight??

I have been monitoring the pH, ammonia and nitrate levels weekly, and with the exception of a brief pH excursion, the levels have all been normal.View attachment 123524View attachment 123525

Many thanks.
Poor thing

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back