coryadora pygmaeus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I've never had sand substrate before, btw.
I bought a 50 pd bag of Playground Sand at Lowe’s today, $5. Thoroughly vacuumed a large tank and removed some very old sand. Be sure to wash it well before adding to tank to avoid cloudy dust particles. I fill a bucket and hose it down & swirl until the water runs clear before adding it to the tanks.

What kind of pipe?
I use something like this.

Can they choke on sand?
Not normally.

Puff and poke?
If you're familiar with a turkey baster, you'll work it out. ;)

It sounds like you used a syphoning machine-type thingy, on a landscape that was designed to look nice, but with no thought with regards cleaning...a common enough mistake.

What if I just buried the waste?
Then it'll rot and poison your fish. There really shouldn't be that much waste and, if there is, you're probably over-feeding.

When you're ready, I suggest you think about re-organising your tank lay-out.

• Moving forward...buy two large buckets.
  • Make sure that you have two relatively large nets to hand.
  • Switch off all electrical items.
  • Remove all rocks and wood and other 'hard' loose items. Put to one side. (Do not wash and if you feel that you really REALLY have to, only rinse in tank water.).
  • Fill a bucket with tank water.
  • Carefully remove the plants and place them in the bucket with water in it.
  • You should now be able to see and remove the fish...use two nets and take your time. One of the biggest fish-catching errors I see made, time and time again, in both home aquaria and fish shops, is the chasing around of a fish with just the one net. The fish switch into predator-avoidance mode. It's relatively easier to guide fish with one net, into another.
  • Place the fish in the bucket with the plants and place a towel or similar over the top.

Now you can re-arrange your substrate.
  • Remember your difficulty in cleaning it, so re-arrange it with that in mind. I always create a slope, from back to front, so any waste will naturally flow down to the front.
  • Replace the hard stuff.
  • Replace the plants.
  • Pour the rest of the bucket and fish back into the tank.*
  • ONLY switch the pump and heater back on. Leave the lights off for a while, to allow the fish to get their bearings.

When pouring water into a tank, place a bowl in the tank and pour the water into that.
Alternatively, buy a watering can with a sprinkler 'rose' attached and use that to make it 'rain' water back into the tank.

Be sure to mark any buckets and watering can with 'Aquarium Use Only'. ;)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought a 50 pd bag of Playground Sand at Lowe’s today, $5. Thoroughly vacuumed a large tank and removed some very old sand. Be sure to wash it well before adding to tank to avoid cloudy dust particles. I fill a bucket and hose it down & swirl until the water runs clear before adding it to the tanks.
It's worth noting that if there is any sand dust floating about, your filter will clean it out. Just be aware that you'll need to rinse your filter as soon as possible, to clear it of that sand dust.

That is the same sand I bought.
I definitely rinsed it completely outside in a bucket with a spray nozzle garden hose.
The first time I cleaned the tank it went well. I've only had it set up for a few weeks. I'll just have to practice and take some advice on here. Honestly, I think I need the smaller hosed gravel vaccum...

It shouldn't get dirty unless you are over feeding. Everything that goes into your tank needs to go through a fish
Also in response to @Bruce Leyland-Jones,

I think I've been over feeding.
New to this species, I haven't gauged their needs yet. Also, not sure what to feed at first.

I've used frozen daphnia, mini algae wafers, dried and cubed tubifex worms cut up very small because they float, and crushed Hikari micro pellets. So at least I got something right...

I thought I would see the "burrowing" behavior but it's been more of a poking pecking nudging behavior. Also they do forage in the plants, eat off rocks and branches often.
I haven't noticed much eating off the sand. But, the colour of the sand is such that I can't tell as much.

Now, when I first got the fish I put them in a tank with a very shallow layer of what was bought with a shrimp tank and was basically labeled shrimp substrate, or substrate that was specifically good for shrimp. It consisted of tiny clay balls. They actually seemed to eat off that surface better than they're doing right now.

I was worried about gravel but since these little clay balls were so smooth I thought that it would be okay for a little while until I got the sand.

I watched closely and they seem to feed easily and work amongst the bottom quite well. in addition I had a very clear view of what was left over and I was able to feed them what I thought was a proper amount and not too much. There was little waste. Also, they took to the little algae wafers whereas on the sand I have noticed that they just kind of sit there and get gross. Of course I remove them right away!!!

The only difference from this first setup is that there weren't any elements of landscape in there.

It was very easy to clean the shrimp substrate but I knew that they were supposed to be on sand so I went ahead and switched.

I use a simple gravel vacuum, the same I use with all my other tanks.

One last thing, I have to consider the fact that the surface area and size of the tank are probably not adequate for the stocking. This is temporary as I am testing a 10 gallon right now for leaks. This should help with the problem I have in regard to getting between the rocks and plants and such.

I feel pretty hopeful about the turkey baster idea. I've used small syringes---(without the needles of course, they were given to me by my vet to use for my cat to squirt stuff in her mouth)---to clean out the bottom of fry tanks and it works pretty well and I think the turkey baster idea would probably do the same in this case.

I also need to research what plants would do better in sand that will not wilt as much.

Okay that was long-winded but I'm hopeful. I've wanted these little characters for over a year and finally found some at the local fish store in the size group I wanted. They held up well at the store so I went for it even though it was a splurge!

My my sweet little babies I really hope I can succeed with them.
I'm I'm definitely still on the fence about the sand though...

I think I've been over feeding.
You'll get there and, until you do, you'll be keeping a close eye on your ammonia and nitrite readings and committing yourself to cleaning.
(That's why I made the suggestion for re-doing your tank's aquascaping. ;) )

I thought I would see the "burrowing" behavior but it's been more of a poking pecking nudging behavior. Also they do forage in the plants, eat off rocks and branches often.
I haven't noticed much eating off the sand. But, the colour of the sand is such that I can't tell as much.
It's a complete myth when anyone boldly states that they all need need..., or do...whatever. They are a varied Group and the pygmy species in particular are quite different from their larger cousins.
I think the turkey baster idea would probably do the same in this case.
Just be sure to get a big one. ;)

I'm I'm definitely still on the fence about the sand though...
Me too. ;)

My 'Special' bowl, filling tanks, without disturbing things, for the use of;

DSCN3888.JPG

I use something like this.

Not normally.

If you're familiar with a turkey baster, you'll work it out. ;)

It sounds like you used a syphoning machine-type thingy, on a landscape that was designed to look nice, but with no thought with regards cleaning...a common enough mistake.

Then it'll rot and poison your fish. There really shouldn't be that much waste and, if there is, you're probably over-feeding.

When you're ready, I suggest you think about re-organising your tank lay-out.

• Moving forward...buy two large buckets.
  • Make sure that you have two relatively large nets to hand.
  • Switch off all electrical items.
  • Remove all rocks and wood and other 'hard' loose items. Put to one side. (Do not wash and if you feel that you really REALLY have to, only rinse in tank water.).
  • Fill a bucket with tank water.
  • Carefully remove the plants and place them in the bucket with water in it.
  • You should now be able to see and remove the fish...use two nets and take your time. One of the biggest fish-catching errors I see made, time and time again, in both home aquaria and fish shops, is the chasing around of a fish with just the one net. The fish switch into predator-avoidance mode. It's relatively easier to guide fish with one net, into another.
  • Place the fish in the bucket with the plants and place a towel or similar over the top.

Now you can re-arrange your substrate.
  • Remember your difficulty in cleaning it, so re-arrange it with that in mind. I always create a slope, from back to front, so any waste will naturally flow down to the front.
  • Replace the hard stuff.
  • Replace the plants.
  • Pour the rest of the bucket and fish back into the tank.*
  • ONLY switch the pump and heater back on. Leave the lights off for a while, to allow the fish to get their bearings.

When pouring water into a tank, place a bowl in the tank and pour the water into that.
Alternatively, buy a watering can with a sprinkler 'rose' attached and use that to make it 'rain' water back into the tank.

Be sure to mark any buckets and watering can with 'Aquarium Use Only'. ;)
I just bought this kind of pipe to attach to the hose. By heating one can make a sligjt curve in the pipe so water runs nicely into the hose.
Saw the pipe as long as needed and eventually make the end warm and make a smaller "mouth". Stirr through the sand keep it a bit higher afterwards and let it suck debry from just above the sandsurface.
Hoping this "Dutch-English" description makes a bit of sense. If not I'll send a pic of my current siphon.

Attachments

• 20211025_153447.jpg
    20211025_153447.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 18
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back