Cory With One Eye.

Luketendo

BLENNY :O
Reaction score
Ok Yesterday I had to move all my fish to one tank for a day since I was setting up my new tank. My Yo Yo Loach was very shocked at this and he kept burying himself the whole time in fear / madness / insanity. Anyway I think during the night he must have picked one of my Sterbai's eyes out since I now have one with one eye. I don't think he'll do it again since he's now in the new tank with a big log that he sits in and sand. If he does do it again... he is gone.

Anyway, will my cory be alright? It seems a lot less active than the others, but it does move around a fair bit.

hello,

I have an albino cory with only one eye and he's fine, swims with the others and is usually the first to spawn with the females so i wouldn't say it causes him any problems. That said i bought him with one eye so its possible he was born like it.

Emma :)

i've seen fish in aquariums with one eye swimming around happily so cant see a problem (excuse the pun) lol

Hi Luketendo :)

Since the use their barbels to find food, a cory can survive and eat with only one eye. I have one for over three and a half years since I found him that way in a cichlid tank at an lfs.

That said, do you think this sterbai will ever not be stressed while living in the same tank as the fish that did that too him?

Well the loach doesn't really come out of the log often, he was only crazy because he had no where to hide, so he kept digging in the gravel.

I put him in today and he went straight into the bogwood cave and hasn't really come out. He basically sits around in his cave all day, comes out at night for a swim sometimes and in the morning for food.

my friend also has a cory with one eye!
its an albino maybe ther is a genetic thing with albinos being bred ?

Keep the water very clean. If it were me I would treat him or even the tank with a mild antibiotic, but I treat more than some, and we have good meds in the States.

I have albinos and none have lost an eye. It is possible for any group of fish that have had too much inbreeding to develop weaknesses. I got two groups of albinos from two different sources for breeding and never leave the offspring to breed--well, maybe 1 or 2. :D Still I can't quite see a predisposition to being poked in the eye by a loach.

I have a Syno that was bagged with its buddy at the lps and lost its eye on the way home in the bag. I have had it a few years now. Hardy little bugger. As I remember I added PimaFix and MelaFix as a safe guard and to speed healing. I had gotten pond strength concentrate without knowing. It killed the 12" frontosa--he died in my arms--but the Synos never skipped a beat.

I also have a Albino C. Aeneus like this, except I got it this way. This fish had lost both of its eyes and was in a tank all by itself sitting in a corner. I asked the worker if I could have it and they let me take it since no one was going to buy it. Ive had it for about 2 years now and it has no problems finding food or finding the other cories in the tank. Im not sure if the fish was born like this or if it lost its eyes somewhere else. It was healed up when I found it.

I don't think I'll treat the water. It seems like the eye socket has healed over a bit on it's own.

It's in totally fresh tap water (with dechlor duh) since this morning. (New Tank.)

Hi Luketendo :)

You are right about not medicating a tank. Never, never use an antibiotic unless there is a specific reason to believe there is a bacterial infection that could be helped by using it. Antibiotics are in no way intended to be preventative medicine.

Is this the forum thread Google found for you? If not, you might like to take a look at it. It's one of my TFF favorites.

http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/42095/Cory-Troubles/

Nah it was some random forum.

That was quite amusing.

The cory is quite creepy since it's eye socket is all red, I'm pretty sure this is just behind the skin bit though.

I have heard it said that albinos have more sensitive sight which can cause them to have poor eyesight. That I suppose could cause them to not see well enough and so get poked in the eye. I think this comes from human albinos having more sensitive eyesight--or so I believe I read.

As I said, I do sometimes do preventative medications, just as I often wash my hands with antibiotics before and after reaching in a tank--which I suppose I should wear tank gloves. My skin due to meds is more sensitive. Many medicate imported fish as a precaution against parasites. I like importers to medicate wild caught fish and quarantine them. I sometimes treat new fish with a mild anti parasitic. When I get a cut I often treat it with a triple antibiotic cream.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back