Cory Was Acting Wierd, Then Found Dead - Can Anyone Help It's Been

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishcakes

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My signature has my stocking information, however I no longer have the platy fry and obviously I am now down one cory.

We had a cory whose stomach was progressively getting fatter and a little 'veiny', we thought she might be getting ready to drop eggs. She started being a bit lazier than normal last night compared to the others, kept resting on leaves and on the sand more than normal so we thought when we got up in the morning we'd find some eggs (or remains of them). But this morning we found the fish dead in the tank. Tested the water, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10-20 of nitrate. What could it have been? This is the 2nd time we've lost a cory, the others are fine - very active, eating well and sociable.

Hello?! Can anyone else offer any suggestions or anything more in depth? Feel like my thread is being ignored...

I'm not ignoring, I just can't help. Sorry.

Internal parasites generally show signs by a redness around the anus and/or stringy white poo.

It might be a parasite or possibly constipation. I have lots of cory but I've never seen those symptoms as you've described. Didn't get a photo of her did you?

It might be a parasite or possibly constipation. I have lots of cory but I've never seen those symptoms as you've described. Didn't get a photo of her did you?

No we didn't take a photo, but when were inspected the body we couldn't find anything strange or unusual about it :(

What can cause constipation in corys?

Potentially dead for 3-4 days??? I thought she was alive on Saturday night and you found her dead the next morning?

Constipation is likely caused by being fed prepared foods without a lot of variation as they get in the wild.

Overfeeding as well. I regularly fast my tank once a week. I also feed frozen peas about every week to help with the "flow". :lol:

Potentially dead for 3-4 days??? I thought she was alive on Saturday night and you found her dead the next morning?

Constipation is likely caused by being fed prepared foods without a lot of variation as they get in the wild.

Sorry, I got that cory mixed up with the other one that died that was missing for 3-4 days. This one we did find the following morning, sorry.

I haven't been fasting them for one day a week, I think I should start doing that. I'll start feeding them peas as well I think.

I feed mine peas about once a week and it seems to do the trick. Everybody loves them.
good.gif

just out of interest what do you feed the tank and was there anything noticable about the body when removed?

I feed mine peas about once a week and it seems to do the trick. Everybody loves them.
good.gif

That was the part that I found so amazing. They actually act like the peas are as big a treat as the frozen bloodworms!

just out of interest what do you feed the tank and was there anything noticable about the body when removed?

In the morning I feed - one pinch of flakes and one pinch of pellets.

In the evening - one pinch flakes, one pinch pellets and one algae wafer.

Occasionally I give them bloodworms and pellets in the evening instead, maybe once a week. And there was nothing unusual about the body at all, looked healthy. Well, as healthy as a dead body of a fish can do anyway.

i've lost 3 panda's now...with no signs at all..they are just keeling over sideways and going belly up :(

Most reactions

trending

Back