Cory identification sheet

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishfinder1973

Fishaholic
Reaction score
482C2676-8BC9-4AAC-BCF6-7B7646DDE5C1.png

There are 120 species in this chart. But that is less than one-third of the species discovered to date. :yahoo: Many are awaiting description, and have CW numbers.

There are some 444 species within the family Corydoradinae, which includes the nine lineages of the genus Corydoras, and the genera Aspidoras and Scleromystax. Fishbase only includes the described species (i.e., none of the CW numbered fish) and lists 227 in Corydoras although only 165 of these are valid accepted names [another story!], 22 valid names/species in Aspidoras, and 5 in Scleromystax, totalling 192, again minus the hundreds of fish awaiting description.

The genus Brochis, in case anyone wonders, is now synonymized with Corydoras (as lineage 8, sub-clade 1).

There are 120 species in this chart. But that is less than one-third of the species discovered to date. :yahoo: Many are awaiting description, and have CW numbers.

There are some 444 species within the family Corydoradinae, which includes the nine lineages of the genus Corydoras, and the genera Aspidoras and Scleromystax. Fishbase only includes the described species (i.e., none of the CW numbered fish) and lists 227 in Corydoras although only 165 of these are valid accepted names [another story!], 22 valid names/species in Aspidoras, and 5 in Scleromystax, totalling 192, again minus the hundreds of fish awaiting description.

The genus Brochis, in case anyone wonders, is now synonymized with Corydoras (as lineage 8, sub-clade 1).
can any cory catfish tolerate cooler water with a goldfish?

I want to see the sheet with all 444 species on it. ;)

There are some different sheets going around on the internet.

Some remarks about this one :
Id-ing the spotted ones is the most difficult job mainky cause several fish have (local) appearances. The distinguised differences as in this chart aren't so distinguised as they look. I've never seen a C.ambiacus like the one on the chart for instance.
The naming of the C.aeneus typee is incorrect on this chart.
There are a lot hardly ever seen in the trade, though often sold ones miss (a shame if one wants to ID)
It is nice to see so many Corys though and as Byron mentioned there are a lot more.

Great fish though.

can any cory catfish tolerate cooler water with a goldfish?

As far as temperature (only) is concerned, it depends upon how "cool" the water is for cories. All species seem to function best in the range of 20-25C (68-77F) long term. I did have some data on this from Ian Fuller, but I don't think I kept notes, though I do recall his advice being close if not exact to this range.

There is a thread here on TFF from 2007 on this question, and Neale Monks (who is a member here though not "active" for some time now) said the following, which is much what Ian told me as I recall it.

Several species of Corydoras (e.g., peppered cories) and Scleromystax (e.g., bearded cories) are *subtropical* fish, and naturally inhabit places where the water temperature is around 18-20C. In fact, keeping these species at tropical temperatures, as most people do, is probably harmful and certainly reduces the longevity of wild-caught specimens which are sensitive to the lower oxygen content of overly warm water. Some of these subtropical cories do very well in ponds in the UK and parts of the US over summer -- I've done this myself with peppered cories, and the fish spawned immediately I brought them indoors in September.​
However, none are really coldwater fish, so over the long term you will have problems with digestion (uptake of nutrients) and immunity (diseases) if they are kept too cold. I certainly wouldn't recommend you keep any subtropical cories in aquaria where the temperature drops below 15C on a regular basis.​

As far as temperature (only) is concerned, it depends upon how "cool" the water is for cories. All species seem to function best in the range of 20-25C (68-77F) long term. I did have some data on this from Ian Fuller, but I don't think I kept notes, though I do recall his advice being close if not exact to this range.

There is a thread here on TFF from 2007 on this question, and Neale Monks (who is a member here though not "active" for some time now) said the following, which is much what Ian told me as I recall it.

Several species of Corydoras (e.g., peppered cories) and Scleromystax (e.g., bearded cories) are *subtropical* fish, and naturally inhabit places where the water temperature is around 18-20C. In fact, keeping these species at tropical temperatures, as most people do, is probably harmful and certainly reduces the longevity of wild-caught specimens which are sensitive to the lower oxygen content of overly warm water. Some of these subtropical cories do very well in ponds in the UK and parts of the US over summer -- I've done this myself with peppered cories, and the fish spawned immediately I brought them indoors in September.​
However, none are really coldwater fish, so over the long term you will have problems with digestion (uptake of nutrients) and immunity (diseases) if they are kept too cold. I certainly wouldn't recommend you keep any subtropical cories in aquaria where the temperature drops below 15C on a regular basis.​
thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back