Cory ID

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Problem with a lot of species is that several were long be seen as the same species and got seperated species later.

C.aeneus - C.venezuelanus - C.schultzei were earlier considered as C.aeneus. When they mated it wasn't considered crossbreeding.
That's the way green Aeneus were bred (there is a natural type also btw).

The seperate species C.macrosteus (huge Corys) is now C.aeneus again.

Same with C.paleatus and C.longipinnis.
Now the offspring of these are considered crrossbreds / hybrids. Earlier they weren't

So some fish got crossbred without the intention to do so.

I concur with these statements and suspected this myself over the years and this is a good explanation of this imho.

Nicely done.

Here are some pictures of my supposedly C. paleatus.

View attachment 142930

View attachment 142931

View attachment 142932

I agree that whatever species or hybrid they might be, they both look like males :)

So the purpose of this post is exactly what. What are you trying to say.

It's pretty clear what he's saying though isn't it. He's explaining the genetics and classifications of different species, and cross-breeding that can and has happened both in nature, and in the hobby. That there are species in the wild (many species, not just cories) that have been wiped out due to things like pollution and habitat destruction, and only still exist today due to captive specimens.

That we should try to avoid deliberately hybridising species of cory (particularly any that would not naturally cross paths in the wild) for these reasons, and that if it happens - as he admits has happened in his own tanks - we should be responsible and not pass these hybrid offspring into the trade and the hobby by selling the offspring and further mixing up their genetics.

I'm not sure how you could have misunderstood what he was saying, it was pretty clear. But I've done my best to dumb it down a bit. Now if you disagree with either the science or the conclusions by Ian Fuller then that's fine, you can just say so. But since you said you don't don't know what he's trying to say, thought I'd chip in.

Do please correct me if I've misinterpreted anything @Byron .

So to stop these fish cross breeding. Species only tanks. Not running 40 fish of 12 species in a tank like Byron does and any fish that have been cross bred cull them out. Remember that it has been stated that these fish live to 40 years so most of us will not have them for their entire life and won't be able to guarantee that their new owners will be responsible.

So to stop these fish cross breeding. Species only tanks. Not running 40 fish of 12 species in a tank like Byron does and any fish that have been cross bred cull them out. Remember that it has been stated that these fish live to 40 years so most of us will not have them for their entire life and won't be able to guarantee that their new owners will be responsible.
I don't think there is any need to be hostile and 'call out' specific people - particularly when you're targeting the same people in thread after thread... and when that person is battling a life-threatening illness, making a comment about the lifespan of the fish while tagging that person is revolting.

You can state your own opinions at any time, of course.

You can even discuss and debate topics with others who want to engage with the discussion too, without making posts (and therefore, the forum) unwelcoming, and hostile. It's fine to have different views on fishkeeping. But you don't have to be aggressive, or follow the same person around from thread to thread, making passive aggressive comments. Frankly, it's turned into bullying, and I'm not the only one who has noticed.

I don't think there is any need to be hostile and 'call out' specific people - particularly when you're targeting the same people in thread after thread... and when that person is battling a life-threatening illness, making a comment about the lifespan of the fish while tagging that person is revolting.

You can state your own opinions at any time, of course.

You can even discuss and debate topics with others who want to engage with the discussion too, without making posts (and therefore, the forum) unwelcoming, and hostile. It's fine to have different views on fishkeeping. But you don't have to be aggressive, or follow the same person around from thread to thread, making passive aggressive comments. Frankly, it's turned into bullying, and I'm not the only one who has noticed.
I'm sorry, I thought any member on here needs to be able to back up anything they say with sound science. I am just trying to get to the science behind cross breeding Corydora's and what our community is going to do about it to improve things.

Hey, people, let's calm it down a bit shall we? We have a new member posting a some legit questions and trying to do the right thing, and once again personality conflicts are threatening to overwhelm legit discussion. We can disagree and still be nice. Please do so. T

I'm sorry, I thought any member on here needs to be able to back up anything they say with sound science. I am just trying to get to the science behind cross breeding Corydora's and what our community is going to do about it to improve things.

Byron did back up his posts with sound science. Describing the current classifications of different species and how they have been hybridised even in commercial farms because C.longipinnis was only defined and described as a different species from C.paleatus in 2007 (and that both have since been genetically sequenced). That the fish now sold as long-finned C.paleatus are likely hybrids; the C.longipinnis bred with C.paleatus to produce those long fins. That they are almost impossible to tell apart without DNA sequencing, so getting wild stock is the only way to be sure.

Then he backed it with quotes from a world renowned expert on corydoras and both of their views on how the hobby should handle hybrids.

Byron already stated what he thinks should be done should they breed, and that he has cories that have produced hybrids himself, and that he won't let those offspring get into the hobby. And the OP @gabrielgalhano has expressed a desire to know more and wanted to know about the risks for hybrids, and has said that s/he could also set them up in a different male only tank, to prevent them interbreeding with their C.paleatus.

You haven't produced a counter-argument with solid scientific evidence yet, BTW. Only challenged Byron, and said that OP should breed them freely, and that it would have no impact on the hobby, or that they should be killed, when that is also unnecessary.

You can use science to an extent for a topic such as this (for example to provide evidence that a particular practice is detrimental) but ultimately science can not be used to provide an answer here because it’s a question of ethics and everyone’s ethics are a little different and no more valid than anyone else’s.

So I get angry faces for saying to cull them and angry faces for saying let them be. What does the community thinks should be done.

So I get angry faces for saying to cull them and angry faces for saying let them be. What does the community thinks should be done.
I noticed that too. Maybe it was the part about what the OP does with the two fish doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things cuz I can see some people being upset by that statement.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back