Cory eggs with Cory fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mattscupoftea

Reaction score
Hi all,

TLDR - can I put fresh cory eggs in a fry trap with 10 day old cory fry?

I wonder if anyone can help. . ? I have 7 bronze cory fry in a home-made fry-trap, floating in my main tank (it's a solid-sided clear plastic box with a little airtube water inlet bringing fresh water into the trap from an outlet hole in the tank's spray-bar and also an airstone - there is also a net covered overflow outlet at the other end of the trap). The fry are around 10 days old and doing well!

I've just witnessed mum and dad cory 'doing the do' and laying fresh eggs (incredible to watch!) and have the eggs safe in a deli tub for the moment.

My question is can I put the eggs in with the 10 day old fry in the fry trap? I would like not to have another floating tank in my main tank, but don't want the current fry to snack on the eggs or bully brand new fry when they appear.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

So I erred on the side of caution and have kept the eggs in a separate deli cup floating in the top of the tank (with water flow and airstone) for the time being.

I then spent a little more time researching and it seems like the eggs would actually be fine in with the fry (although that would also make it harder to keep the water conditions perfect for the eggs as the fry are on a feeding regime now, which means occasional leftover food on the bottom after feeding times.

From what I have read, it will be fine for any newborn fry to go in with the 14 day olds, so I am going to do it that way.

Since I posted earlier on, I've witnessed two more spawnings and have just added another 45 or so eggs into the egg tank! Gonna have lots of babies now!

Once the ones hatched are eating, you can scoot them over to be with the older fry just fine:)

I wouldn't keep any 2 week old catfish fry with eggs because they will chew on the eggs. If the fry were 1 or 2 days old, not a problem, but 10 day old could be a problem.

You also shouldn't mix bigger fry with small ones because the big ones eat all the food and the small ones starve. That is why most commercial fish farmers separate the fry every month or so. They want the fry all the same size to stop bigger fish getting all the food or even eating the smaller fish.

Thanks for your replies, @NCaquatics and @Colin_T.

What you've both said has confirmed my suspicions - thanks for that! I also realised that it's better to keep them separate for the moment anyhow so that I can keep an eye on everyone.

On checking the tank this morning, I found more spawning happening, so set up another deli cup and transferred around 25 more eggs to that one. I figure that the 'don't put all your eggs in one basket' synonym fits perfectly here!

Fingers crossed I will get a good hatching rate and have dozens of cute little kittenfish (my term for catfish fry) within days!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back