Cory catfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Skeptical_Mutt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all! Me again. We've not had good luck with our cory catfish and I'm wondering if anybody has ever kept them on smooth gravel substrate with any luck? We're considering switching substrate to a smaller round gravel or sandy substrate if that would help. Thanks.

They really do need sand. With gravel, though it may be fine in size, they still have trouble filter feeding.

How are you having troubles?

I know they recommend sand for corys, but I’ve always had gravel and they seem to be happy... I haven’t heard any complaints yet!?

Attachments

• BDD63C1F-004B-4A31-A5BA-83AA5B591089.jpeg
    BDD63C1F-004B-4A31-A5BA-83AA5B591089.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 38
I'm wondering if the gravel we originally kept them on was too rough for their barbels? We got 4 originally to start with and lost 3 pretty quickly. We just lost the last little guy yesterday.

I'm wondering if the gravel we originally kept them on was too rough for their barbels? We got 4 originally to start with and lost 3 pretty quickly. We just lost the last little guy yesterday.
It was probably other issues than the substrate. As long as the gravel is smooth, it shouldn’t be a problem.

I've use gravel with mine for months and they were fine I just put some sand in my tank and they love it more. I would suggest using sand for em

I have never used sand and would never recommend sand for a fresh water aquarium. Your catfish will be fine on fine gravel. The problem with sand is it compacts and you get no water movement through it therefore you get dead spots in your tank. Full of anaerobic bacteria.

I use sand and do get dead spots in certain areas , I mainly switched to sand for my geophagus but was also for the corys I don’t know how true it is but appear they damage there whiskers ?? Barbells ? Things on gravel and they can starve without them .... don’t know how true that is

I have never used sand and would never recommend sand for a fresh water aquarium. Your catfish will be fine on fine gravel. The problem with sand is it compacts and you get no water movement through it therefore you get dead spots in your tank. Full of anaerobic bacteria.
Corys can't rummage through gravel like they can with sand.
"Dead spots" left undisturbed cause no harm.

I have sand in all 5 of my tanks, and would never use gravel in any tank...sand holds nutrients, gravel holds gunk.

JBL Manado is good for corys. Used to have sand for my 30+ corys but swapped to JBL Manado so I can add more plants etc. Small size and smooth.
Corys can snuffle to their hearts content.

Was your tank relatively new when you added the cories? They like stable parameters and don’t always do well in new tanks. Best of luck. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back