Cory catfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Snowball

Reaction score
Hi Iā€™m new to this fish forum and need help with my cory catfish. This will be the second batch I lost since starting up my tank and not sure what to do. I have a 30 gallon with 4 glo fish and a snowball pleco. Tank been running around 7 weeks. Ammonia is 0, nitrites, 0 and Nitrates was 5-10. Every time I add 4 catfish they die with hours or the next day.

Please fill out this template:

Tank size:
tank age:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

Pictures of fish and tank?
What symptoms do the fish have before they die?

--------------------
If they are dying within a few hours of going into your tank, it is probably shock from a sudden change in water chemistry (pH, GH & KH). Find out what the shop's pH and GH are and find out your own. If there is a major difference that could be the cause.

The GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

--------------------
Find out when the shop gets their fish in and buy them a week later so the fish have a week to recover from the move to the shop.

Find out when the shop does water changes and try to buy the fish a day or two before the water change. This means they have a few days to recover from the water change before they go into your tank with potentially different water.

--------------------
The following link is about fish importing and shows how much stress aquarium fish go through when they leave a fish farm and end up in a pet shop.

Please fill out this template:

Tank size:
tank age:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):
I finally was able to find my post I couldnā€™t find it. Tank size 30 gallons, tank age about 7 weeks, ph was 6.4 when outing the fish Ind did a 20% change while they were in there. Ammonia and nitrite was 0 and nitrate was 5-10. Tank temp is 79 degrees. The fish start to float to the top and when I go to take it out thinking itā€™s dead they swim to the bottom and do the same thing. I change water every week but been doing it every 2 days because I had ammonia twice this week. Prob from the fish dying. During water change I put prime and Bactria in. Sometimes flourish for my plants but doesnā€™t seem to be working anyway. Right now I have 4 glofish one snowball pleco that is dying In the tank the 3 corys I got today I moved to a 10 gallon for now so I donā€™t get an ammonia spike if they do die. I will post a video in the am if there still alive. Sorry for the late and long post, Iā€™m new to the forum and couldnā€™t find my trend or post.

Post pics of the pleco in the morning when you post pics of the other fish.

--------------------
If they are dying within a few hours of going into your tank, it is probably shock from a sudden change in water chemistry (pH, GH & KH). Find out what the shop's pH and GH are and find out your own. If there is a major difference that could be the cause.

The GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

--------------------
Find out when the shop gets their fish in and buy them a week later so the fish have a week to recover from the move to the shop.

Find out when the shop does water changes and try to buy the fish a day or two before the water change. This means they have a few days to recover from the water change before they go into your tank with potentially different water.

--------------------
The following link is about fish importing and shows how much stress aquarium fish go through when they leave a fish farm and end up in a pet shop.
I moved them over to my 10 gallon tank thatā€™s established and been running for 3 years, but I have 6 other fish in there so now adding these 3 the tank is over stocked. But they are still alive!!!! 2 are actually eating one is laying on the bottom not moving much with the other fish running over him.

Attachments

• 075FFAB2-3415-4846-A03B-0B7F33A029E8.jpeg
    075FFAB2-3415-4846-A03B-0B7F33A029E8.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 36
  • D2205F13-D255-4473-B2F2-D8B9A4D19160.jpeg
    D2205F13-D255-4473-B2F2-D8B9A4D19160.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 38
Post pics of the pleco in the morning when you post pics of the other fish.

--------------------

--------------------

--------------------
The first picture is the tank there In itā€™s only a 10 gallon with 4 albino, one clown pleco and one platy. Not adding them is to much. The second pic is the tank I want them in, but they werenā€™t doing well.

Attachments

• F7ECC6F2-D08A-42E7-AF17-EE99AC66A3F3.jpeg
    F7ECC6F2-D08A-42E7-AF17-EE99AC66A3F3.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 44
  • F7780643-68F8-451D-809E-BFDBEC257D5C.jpeg
    F7780643-68F8-451D-809E-BFDBEC257D5C.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 40
Tank size 30 gallons, tank age about 7 weeks, ph was 6.4 when outing the fish Ind did a 20% change while they were in there.
It's preferable not to do a water change when adding fish or for a week after new fish are added to a tank. Too much stress can affect them and doing a water change straight after adding them stresses them even more.

Obviously if there's a water quality issue (ammonia, nitrite or nitrate) then do a water change but try to do it the day before you add new fish.

--------------------
Most catfish are nocturnal and sleep during the day. See if the fish is moving about after the lights go out.

You need driftwood and algae in the tank or the suckermouth catfish will starve. A lot of these fish are wild caught and don't always eat dry fish food. If you have algae on the glass and driftwood in the tank, they can graze on that while they become accustomed to life in an aquarium and artificial fish food.

You can leave the tank light on for up to 16 hours a day to encourage algae to grow on the glass. But the fish and plants need 8 hours of darkness.

The Amazon sword plants are looking a bit pale and could do with some iron based aquarium plant fertiliser. Try to get a complete fertiliser that has trace elements too.

--------------------
You need a picture on the tank to make the fish feel more secure. And some floating plants would help them too. Fish stress when in bright tanks with a light substrate and floating plants help reduce the glare from the white gravel.

Lots of live plants and drift wood, try to get some algae growth. These things will make for a more natural environment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back