Cory Catfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FlareBettaGuy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 2.18 US gallon tank with a small filter, and three fancy guppies. I really would like some cories, but i'm not sure if there is enough room. I have live plants, and I use liquid plant fertilizer and Tetra Aquasafe. The plants I have are those ones with big spade leaves, one on each branch. Would I have enough room for two? How about if I put in an airstone? If I can put two in, will they make a lot of poop? Thanks!

hmm i don't know about that. i read that cories need at least 5 gallons of water. what are your tank dimensions?

according to my calculations, you can have 4.5 inches of fish going by the surface area rule. so if 3 guppies equal 3 inches, that leaves you with 1.5 inches and if you get the smallest cory possible, i think you can get away with a pair. cory cats are actually very clean and don't produce that much waste, plus, they clean the bottom of your tank. so it's your decision, i don't know what i would do if i were you

Wait, FlareBettaGuy, :eek:

I think you might be able to put a pair of corys in your tank but not with the gravel you have in there now. It is way to coarse and the corys will injure their barbels on it.

Since you were thinking of changing it anyway, plan to get fine gravel with no sharp edges which is what the corys will need.

Also, wait until the tank is completely cycled before you add any more fish. It will just make it harder and the chances are greater that you will lose some in the process if you add more too soon.

I have TWO (sorry) Corydoras julii and they are both completely grown and are about 1.5 to 2 inches long...get one and see how they do. I know many say that corys must be kept in schools but I have not had this same experience.
Signed,
Sondan

I put some gravel from the LFS into my tank yesturday. I was told that if I put some in, it would cycle. Is that true? How long will it take? And about the gravel being too rough...the cory tanks at the pet store has the EXACT same gravel as mine, and none of them seem injured or anything. Just a few dead, but I doubt that it was from gravel. Have you seen my gravel yet? I can take a picture of it...and I don't think that taking the gravel out right at this moment would be a very good idea. I just put some matured gravel in yesterday, and it's likely that the bacteria is just starting to grow. If I change the gravel now, I have to start all over again. Plus, I don't think that the LFS would give me a third cup of matured gravel. (the gravel I put in my guppy tank is my second cup from them) They'll think i'm trying to get free gravel from my tank from them or something. -_-

I would really perfer to have two. One seems way too lonely to me, especially of what I heard of how cories need a friend and partner and stuff like that. You should really try to get another one and see how your cory reacts. :)

Hi FlareBettaGuy :)

You are right. It is cruel to keep just one cory. They are a schooling fish and are shy and easily frightened when they are kept alone. I went to the lfs today and saw one cory by himself in a tank and none like him anywhere, so I bought him and brought him home to live with all my corys. He'll feel safe and secure now and when I find out what he is I'll try to get some more. :D

Now, get me up to date here. I saw a picture of your tank in the pictures section. Do you have different gravel now? :unsure:

Nope. Same gravel. Like I said, it is not in my best intrest to change the gravel out now, since the cycling has already begun. I'm just saying the they have the same gravel as mine in the LFS at the pet store, and the cories don't seem injured by it. Maybe you mistook my gravel for the really sharp ones. After all, it wasn't exactly a closeup shot. Hold on, i'll take a picture now.

Nope. Same gravel. Like I said, it is not in my best intrest to change the gravel out now, since the cycling has already begun. I'm just saying the they have the same gravel as mine in the LFS at the pet store, and the cories don't seem injured by it. Maybe you mistook my gravel for the really sharp ones. After all, it wasn't exactly a closeup shot. Hold on, i'll take a picture now.

lol pal no one can read that, u gotta upload the pic somewhere n post the pic. btw i think u can get 3-4 cories in that tank of yours. i had 3 pandas with 10 neons in a 2.5 gal for a month and none died :) but yeah i shouldnt encourage overstocking but cories dun make much waste in my opinion

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back