Cory catfish is twitching

I assume its tap water you're using to fill the tank. Do you condition your water with anything? Ie Seachem Prime? Do you do this before adding the water? Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, i did my best to read through everything

I assume its tap water you're using to fill the tank. Do you condition your water with anything? Ie Seachem Prime? Do you do this before adding the water? Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, i did my best to read through everything
i use seachem prime

I really don’t get what I’m supposed to do other than use salt

Dissolve the 7 tablespoons (7 x 15 ml spoons) in a bit of tank water then pour it into the tank. Make sure the salt is completely dissolved before pouring the water into the tank.

If you do a water change, add enough salt to replace the amount in the water you take out. So say you change half the water, add 3.5 spoonfuls (half of 7) to the new water then pour it into the tank. This keeps the amount of salt in the tank constant.

After 2 weeks, start doing water changes without adding salt to the new water. Each water change will dilute the salt till there's none left.

Dissolve the 7 tablespoons (7 x 15 ml spoons) in a bit of tank water then pour it into the tank. Make sure the salt is completely dissolved before pouring the water into the tank.

If you do a water change, add enough salt to replace the amount in the water you take out. So say you change half the water, add 3.5 spoonfuls (half of 7) to the new water then pour it into the tank. This keeps the amount of salt in the tank constant.

After 2 weeks, start doing water changes without adding salt to the new water. Each water change will dilute the salt till there's none left.
Ok thanks! So I did a water change yesterday so I think I will be fine. so basically I gotta put 7 tablespoons of salt (which I’m using the api aquarium salt) andd wait 2 weeks then do some waterchanges to get rid of the salt. Also one thing is that I also got a betta not sure how hardy they are.

Ok thanks! So I did a water change yesterday so I think I will be fine. so basically I gotta put 7 tablespoons of salt (which I’m using the api aquarium salt) andd wait 2 weeks then do some waterchanges to get rid of the salt. Also one thing is that I also got a betta not sure how hardy they are.
Why would you get a betta, in a "sick" tank? Its not about how "hardy" a fish is, that is wrongful thinking.

Why would you get a betta, in a "sick" tank? Its not about how "hardy" a fish is, that is wrongful thinking.
I already had the betta, I would never get a new fish if my others were sick. You should at least look at what I said before commenting.

Last edited:
Betta will be fine with the salt. You won't be doing the full dose of salt treatment as it is the corydora that are intolerant to salt, even though its being used here for treatment.

Betta will be fine with the salt. You won't be doing the full dose of salt treatment as it is the corydora that are intolerant to salt, even though its being used here for treatment.
Okay well ima going to the store rn to get, sooo I think I figured out what to do.
1) add 7 tablespoons of salt but let it dissolve in some of my fishwater before putting in
2) wait 2 weeks but in that Time keep close attention to my fish
3) after 2 weeks do water Changes till there is no more salt left in the water

I will keep updates, ima go get some aquarium salt. thank you guys so much for your help on this. I might have lost one of my fish but at least now I can save my others

Sorry hun, different time zones so I was asleep when you were asking. Colins spiel as below.

Directions for using salt are below.
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres. In bad cases you add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres, straight away.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate will not affect plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

Sounds like a solid plan. I'm not sure there's much more you can do here tbh. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Does the Betta interact with the corys at all?

I would do water changes maybe every couple of days to keep the water clean. Whatever gets changed out make sure it is added back in as essjay and Colin advice. And make sure your water is de chlorinated before putting in the tank. Your betta will be fine also hun

Most reactions

trending

Back