Cory cat treatment, salt and H2O2 levels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jesusjones

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Fighting something in my tank, flukes maybe. No meds available. I'm coming up with a plan, something like the TTM method. In the meantime though one of my pygmy.C who had been recovering and doing well (previous thread https://www.fishforums.net/threads/fish-curling-into-c-shape-at-death.485748/) was starting to look lethargic and pale. Its barbels have been fully eroded since day 1 and they still haven't come back, unfortunately.

Getting desperate, I did a salt dip, 1.5% for 30 minutes (works on Sturgeon apparently). It didn't like it, but held out the full 30 min. 3 days later its swimming, schooling and eating. It might of actually did some good.

Also experimented with a lower 2ml/gal of 3% H202 dose on the entire tank. All the Cories look and seem fine after a single dose at that level.

Cats are sensitive fish, just wanted to share what they handled OK for me.
Use at your own risk

Fighting something in my tank, flukes maybe. No meds available. I'm coming up with a plan, something like the TTM method. In the meantime though one of my pygmy.C who had been recovering and doing well (previous thread https://www.fishforums.net/threads/fish-curling-into-c-shape-at-death.485748/) was starting to look lethargic and pale. Its barbels have been fully eroded since day 1 and they still haven't come back, unfortunately.

Getting desperate, I did a salt dip, 1.5% for 30 minutes (works on Sturgeon apparently). It didn't like it, but held out the full 30 min. 3 days later its swimming, schooling and eating. It might of actually did some good.

Also experimented with a lower 2ml/gal of 3% H202 dose on the entire tank. All the Cories look and seem fine after a single dose at that level.

Cats are sensitive fish, just wanted to share what they handled OK for me.
Use at your own risk
I know someone who uses a potassium permanganate solution regularly for treating parasites--he gets a lot of wild-caught fish. He swears by it. I know that it is used for ponds, so it makes sense. The dose has to be very low, so a blend like IAqua Purple is probably safest.

Seems like Potassium Permanganate is available to me, which is nice to know. I wonder if its safe to dose at scaled fish levels when scaleless fish are in the tank.
experimented with a lower 2ml/gal of 3% H202 dose on the entire tank. All the Cories look and seem fine after a single dose at that level.
Want to clarify, the dose of H2O2 had no noticeable adverse effects on the Cories. Not saying it fixed everything.

I'm not an expert but, for what it's worth, I've not had any problems in my tank since using Tetra Easy Balance on a regular basis. Instead of weekly, as instructed, I use it monthly alongside fortnightly 25% water changes/checking perimeters. My peppered corys have thrived ever since 🙂

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back