Cory banging itself

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
One of my cories is like hitting its body against a rock. What does this mean?

It also has these little horns in front of its eyes. I'll try and get a picture

Hey all,
One of my cories is like hitting its body against a rock. What does this mean?
Does it look like its scraping on the rock?? If so it may b scratching itself & if it does it alot u may have ich- but I'm not an expert, but I have had ich & scratching against things is a symptom

Does it look like its scraping on the rock?? If so it may b scratching itself & if it does it alot u may have ich- but I'm not an expert, but I have had ich & scratching against things is a symptom
I don't know. I only saw a single white spot, and it was on a fin. Could be itching but it looked more like hitting. What do I do?

Ich u will c small white spots like salt sprinkled on the fish, easiest seen on fins

I don't know. I only saw a single white spot, and it was on a fin. Could be itching but it looked more like hitting. What do I do?
Only one spot could b the start of it. I suggest ich meds, reading up on it & checking other pics online. If u catch it early u can treat it. I'm not positive that's what it is but if its ich, those spots will multiply fast

I do not suggest ich meds. Cories are more sensitive to a lot of medications, and the best treatment for ich is heat and salt, which is also a lot safer for cories.

However, we don't know whether it's ich yet either. Any signs of trouble, the first thing to check is your water parameters, and to do a water change.

0 ppm ammonia, .3ish ppm nitrite, 5.0 ppm nitrate. Thats not to bad right? Still kind of finishing my cycle.

0 ppm ammonia, .3ish ppm nitrite, 5.0 ppm nitrate. Thats not to bad right? Still kind of finishing my cycle.
Not too bad, but still needs a water change I'm afraid. That nitrite level will keep rising without one, until your bacteria catch up.

Can you get any photos or video of the cory? Is it still acting weird?

Not too bad, but still needs a water change I'm afraid. That nitrite level will keep rising without one, until your bacteria catch up.

Can you get any photos or video of the cory? Is it still acting weird?
Yep, already did a 50% today, will do a 70 tomorrow. Hard to keep nitrite down when you have traces in your tap smh. Nope it has resumed its usual not do anything then go crazy for 2 minutes behavior. Could it just have been a one off? Perhaps something got stuck to it. Lights are off for the day, can I get a pic of it tommorow?

Spent about 15 minutes looking for spots, and didn't see any.

Read it could be breeding behavior, or internal parasites. Only addition to the tank was a nerite from a friends house. He doesn't have ich.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back