Corry catfish blowing bubbles

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Catfishs

Reaction score
Please help!! I have no idea what is happening I will test the water ang get back to this later. I have kept corrys for at least a year in my 20 gallon this has never happened EVER before. They are in my quantine that I recently did a water change on. I did use water conditioner. The temp is around 78. I used api quick start and stress coat.

Attachments

• 20220813_154533.jpg
    20220813_154533.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220813_154918.jpg
    20220813_154918.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220813_154912.jpg
    20220813_154912.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 32
The water is awful I'm doing another water change. I'm confused because I just did one and the tank is cycled.

Attachments

• 20220813_161301.jpg
    20220813_161301.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 36
amm trate and trite are way too high
cories are very sensitive fish, and will have strange behavior when water is not right
they might be gasping for air since they are stressed

Don't use stress coat, it's useless
quick start is also arguably useless.

how long did you cycle the quarantine tank?
check for dead fish, maybe something died and is rotting

amm trate and trite are way too high
cories are very sensitive fish, and will have strange behavior when water is not right
they might be gasping for air since they are stressed

Don't use stress coat, it's useless
quick start is also arguably useless.

how long did you cycle the quarantine tank?
check for dead fish, maybe something died and is rotting
Nothing is dead, it's been cycled for 2 weeks. I changed the water I'll update tomorrow. Its a bare bottom quanitne tank I checked and moved the face plants around. The other stuff is noted.

It may be the food I feed them ill update tomorrow to see if it went back up

Attachments

• 20220813_214255.jpg
    20220813_214255.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 32
check the tap water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

did you clean the filter recently?
If yes, how did you clean it?

increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen in the water.

do a 75-80% water change every day until the levels are 0ppm

Nothing is dead, it's been cycled for 2 weeks. I changed the water I'll update tomorrow. Its a bare bottom quanitne tank I checked and moved the face plants around. The other stuff is noted.
How did you cycle this tank ?

check the tap water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

did you clean the filter recently?
If yes, how did you clean it?

increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen in the water.

do a 75-80% water change every day until the levels are 0ppm
I changed it Friday and the day after. I'll try the rest. I have a sink with reverse osmosis that I used yesterday I'll look for results.

I realize this is a QT but cories should absolutely never be housed in a bare-bottom glass tank. Add a shallow layer of soft sand. First, they can damage themselves on the glass (may sound impossible, but there is plenty of evidence it is true). Second, the sand is where normal bacterial things occur, more important than the filter. Third, they naturally expect to sift through the sand substrate, it is programmed into their genetics. All of these negatives cause stress.

How did you cycle this tank ?

I used api quick start and stress coat.

I suspect the tank was not actually cycled, and API Quick Start added in the belief it instantly cycles a tank. This product speeds up a cycle, it does not do it instantly. These fish in the quarantine tank are now going through a fish-in cycle.

Besides water changes whenever ammonia or nitrite read above zero, filling the tank with fast growing stem plants will help. Even elodea/anacharis left as floating stems will help enormously - but there needs to be a lot of them.

I suspect the tank was not actually cycled, and API Quick Start added in the belief it instantly cycles a tank. This product speeds up a cycle, it does not do it instantly. These fish in the quarantine tank are now going through a fish-in cycle.

Besides water changes whenever ammonia or nitrite read above zero, filling the tank with fast growing stem plants will help. Even elodea/anacharis left as floating stems will help enormously - but there needs to be a lot of them.
This is a quantine im just monitoring that these fish are not sick. I cycled ot by adding food that I know prudcuses high amounts of ammonia. And tested the water until it went down to zero. I will add play sand I got from home depot for my hamster. The leds recently broke cuz I got it from Walmart and u need a lid that can take my cats weight. (12 pounds) Should I just add them into their new tank?

I added food that I know produces high amounts of ammonia I then added api quick Start and monitored until the levels went down to 0.
did u take out the food when you were done?

what type of filter do you have?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back