FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
Hi TTF

Opinions please,

When i was first setting up my 200 litre, i planned on adding 2 x 150w heaters for each side of the tank and was going to set the 1 a degree lower in temp to the other.

My LFS was out of stock in 150's so me being impatient purchased a 300 watt heater instead (not a cheap one i might add)

Im not sure whether im overly keen on just the one but was wondering if just having the 300 is suitable still or should i be thinking of getting two 150's like i originally planned?

Thanks

It somewhat depends upon the tank dimensions. If this 200 liter (roughly 50 gallons) is more than 3 feet (90 cm) in length, definitely have two heaters. At that length, I would probably stay with one, next to the filter outflow, but two might be advisable. Nothing wrong with 300w.

Thanks Byron,

I currently have my heater placed next to the filter outflow, however my tank is slightly bigger than 3ft in length (100cm) so it might be worth me getting 2.

Could i get a 150w to put on the opposite side of my tank to the 300 or is it best taking the 300 out and purchasing 2 x 150's?

In an average house you normally have a 200 watt heater for a 200 litre tank. A 300 watt is fine and won't have to work as much to keep the temperature warm.

If the house/ room containing the aquarium is cold, then you might have to use a higher wattage heater. If the house is really warm, a lower wattage heater might do.

You can insulate the back and sides of the tank with polystyrene foam, just tape it to the outside of the glass. And put a coverglass on the tank and the heater won't have to work as hard because less heat will be lost.

------------------------
Never have 2 heaters with different temperatures. Always set them at the same temperature otherwise one will be working all the time and the other one won't come on at all.

Never have 2 heaters with different temperatures. Always set them at the same temperature otherwise one will be working all the time and the other one won't come on at all.

Thank you Colin, ill remember this for future :good:

Although two heaters are better than one, at this point I'd stick with the one 300w heater.
I like the idea of two heaters for load balancing (both work less), more uniform heating, and should one fail, the other can compensate until you resolve it. (Unless of course either one sticks on, then its all bad).
I had two 200w heaters on my 60g until I upgraded to the external controller and the 500w titanium heater, (The two 200w heaters now live in the unheated basement 37g.)
So where you can, two heaters are better than one, but one higher wattage works too because it works less than an under size heater working a lot to maintain temperature,
Also, I like Byron's idea of placing the one heater near the filter inlet or outlet where circulation/dispersion is really good.
EDIT CORRECTION: Those were two 200w heaters on the 60g.

Last edited:
Thanks Byron,

I currently have my heater placed next to the filter outflow, however my tank is slightly bigger than 3ft in length (100cm) so it might be worth me getting 2.

Could i get a 150w to put on the opposite side of my tank to the 300 or is it best taking the 300 out and purchasing 2 x 150's?

If this were me, I would have 200w heaters, no lower. So with the 300w, a second at 200w is one option without replacing the 300w unless you want to.

Thanks @AbbeysDad. Thats what i think i will do now i know a 300w will be ok, but in the future ill get 2 heaters.

Minds been put to rest now :good:

If this were me, I would have 200w heaters, no lower. So with the 300w, a second at 200w is one option without replacing the 300w unless you want to.
I dont know what i want anymore Byron lol :lol:

Im gonna leave the 300w in for now and see how i go but in future get two heaters.

I dont know what i want anymore Byron lol :lol:

Im gonna leave the 300w in for now and see how i go but in future get two heaters.

That's equally good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back