Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Thank goodness for our Labour government in NZ, and I am so pleased we had a female in charge, men are really bad in situations like this.

Thank goodness for our Labour government in NZ, and I am so pleased we had a female in charge, men are really bad in situations like this.

I really wish we'd taken a similar approach. Back in late January, early Feb we knew it was coming abd refused to shut airports. School trips to Italy brought this disease here first we still never shut airports.

We couldn't locked the country down early on and starved this virus of a host. Instead we are now in second lockdown with daily numbers higher than in April.

I really wish we'd taken a similar approach. Back in late January, early Feb we knew it was coming abd refused to shut airports. School trips to Italy brought this disease here first we still never shut airports.

We couldn't locked the country down early on and starved this virus of a host. Instead we are now in second lockdown with daily numbers higher than in April.
You most probably don't realize what our government did so well, was to pay a wage subsidy. We are self employed our subsidy was paid in full within 48 hours of applying and that covered the 12 weeks of lock down. It meant that we could carry on with our lives, We are so grateful for that.

You most probably don't realize what our government did so well, was to pay a wage subsidy. We are self employed our subsidy was paid in full within 48 hours of applying and that covered the 12 weeks of lock down. It meant that we could carry on with our lives, We are so grateful for that.

We have a wage subsidy here too but it's not matching what people earn. Couples with high rent & mortgage fees there's a lot of stress out there.

We have a wage subsidy here too but it's not matching what people earn. Couples with high rent & mortgage fees there's a lot of stress out there.
What is going to happen here is the tourism industry has collapsed, and they have been propped up, so very shortly the sh*t is going to hit the fan. We are lucky enough that our business has survived but many are going to collapse over the next few months.

Easy to say in hindsight but I reckon NZ got it right. The short sharp lockdown probably had far less long term economic impact and recovery will be quicker. If the rest of the world had done the same even tourism would only have experienced a blip. (This may have been a problem for some third world countries where homelessness is high and/or social services are poor).

Easy to say in hindsight but I reckon NZ got it right. The short sharp lockdown probably had far less long term economic impact and recovery will be quicker. If the rest of the world had done the same even tourism would only have experienced a blip. (This may have been a problem for some third world countries where homelessness is high and/or social services are poor).
I think on the whole we have done a great job. But there is still an on flow effect of this. Which really we don't understand yet.

The new scientist is not a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

Oh I wasn't aware of that, however thanks for telling me. To be fair it's hardly relevent though, although I haven't read it for over ten years on a regular basis, I don't really see people slating it as being inaccurate..

I don't know why people complain about wearing a mask.
Try wearing glasses. Although I would say snice wearing some special bendable metal to help cover the bridge of the nose so that it stops you steaming up your glasses, it has absolultely made me even more convinced they do nothing because the air is now directed to my ears and not through the cloth so it just feels like your blowing air through a pipe to the back of the head rather than out front. On this basis whats the difference? I saw an articale in the paper some time ago reffering to this, if you sneeze you just direct it back behind you.

I have heart disease, lung problems and diabetes. If I catch covid19, theres a really high chance it will kill me because I have most if not all the risk factors that increase the likelihood of me dying.

And there they are, not good buddy, not good. However the number of people getting it is tiny. I make a point of not kissing people at parties and I virtually never get a cold.

Oh I wasn't aware of that, however thanks for telling me. To be fair it's hardly relevent though, although I haven't read it for over ten years on a regular basis, I don't really see people slating it as being inaccurate..

Try wearing glasses. Although I would say snice wearing some special bendable metal to help cover the bridge of the nose so that it stops you steaming up your glasses, it has absolultely made me even more convinced they do nothing because the air is now directed to my ears and not through the cloth so it just feels like your blowing air through a pipe to the back of the head rather than out front. On this basis whats the difference? I saw an articale in the paper some time ago reffering to this, if you sneeze you just direct it back behind you.

And there they are, not good buddy, not good. However the number of people getting it is tiny. I make a point of not kissing people at parties and I virtually never get a cold.
I do wear glasses :). If you struggle with air coming out of the sides of you mask, you should look into making your own that fits you tightly, or get one online that has adjustable loops.

Tell that to the dead people. Oh wait. Yea, they probably got over their Covid-Crazies.

People die every year, I am not certain there have been any more deaths this year than there were last year, or the year before that, they tell us all these people died of Covid, but I'm not sure I believe that.

People die every year, I am not certain there have been any more deaths this year than there were last year, or the year before that, they tell us all these people died of Covid, but I'm not sure I believe that.
1,152,061 have died in hospitals after being confirmed to have Covid-19.

This is true, not all of them. I have seen this issue multiple times in the media too,

"Overall about one in thirteen deaths with COVID-19 on the death certificate did not have the disease as the underlying cause of death; however, this proportion has risen substantially to nearly a third over the last eight weeks."

I don't know if its peer-reviewed for those of you with time on your hands to check if it is, however Oxford is well known for having the brainiest people around...

"The Oxford University Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (CEBM) develops, teaches, promotes and disseminates better evidence for health care."

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back