Corals with polyps retracted

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SwegMaster64

Reaction score
About 2 days ago I bought two corals for my tank (I am a beginner so im not that good at this stuff) I acclimated the corals like I should and I placed them in the tank. The elegance in the substrate and the pipe organ on the rock. The next day I came over and the elegance was still closed and the pipe organ still had its polyps retracted. So I thought they were still acclimating but on the next day they still were closed. One of my fish died on that day as well and there was a funky smell coming from the tank. My question is why are the corals still closed and was the funky smell my fish starting to decompose or something to do with my coral.

What are your parameters? The smell is ammonia which is highly toxic to everything in your tank, especially corals. Your corals are likely closed for three reasons: improper acclimation, change in lighting, and/or high levels of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite present in the tank, do a water change immediately if their is any trace amounts of ammonia, everything in your tank should read 0.

Thank you. I thought so, so I did do a huge water change and the smell has gone away but when I checked later it was back again so I put the corals in a bucket with some water and made another water change. I came back later and the tank smelled fine but the bucket was stinky so I think the ammonia is being released from the corals. Does that mean they are decaying?

Thank you. I thought so, so I did do a huge water change and the smell has gone away but when I checked later it was back again so I put the corals in a bucket with some water and made another water change. I came back later and the tank smelled fine but the bucket was stinky so I think the ammonia is being released from the corals. Does that mean they are decaying?
Likely yes, pictures would help

Thanks for the help! I found out that the elegance died for some reason and was decaying.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back