Coraline Algae on Sand

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TBLightningFan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I know that coraline algae is pretty much a good thing to have in your tank. Recently in my 28 gallon tank I am getting some of the light purple and darker red coralline growing on my sand with each color having its own patch. The coraline has been so healthy on my LR that maybe its finding somewhere else to spread. Is this a good or bad thing?

I think this is a sign its time to increase the size of the hermit cleanup crew maybe. Any thoughts?

There are some great species that keep the sand in your aquarium upturned which would decrease the amount of coraline algae on your sand. Like the blue cheeked goby. It seeves through the sand in the bottum of your aquarium serching for food. Turning it up as it goes. Although difficult to keep, it can be done!

As for it being a good or bad thing, i think it would only show your tank is in good health. Things dont grow unless they are healthy!

Make sure that the algae you are talking about is indeed coralline and not cyano bacteria. Cyano is soft and will form small bubbles within it, and much of the time likes to start up on the sand bed (which is why I bring up the possibility that it could be cyano)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back