Coral Pests

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nkd5024

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So in the past few weeks I have noticed a couple montipora nudibranchs on a spongode and just threw away the whole frag.
I still haven't found any more but am now noticing these TINY black spots that move around on the base of my Tri-Color Acropora and Green Slimer Acropora.
I can't find much info on the black pests.
I'm guessing they are a type of copepod or other pod.
Some places say they can eat montiporas while others say the are harmless.

I'm an trying to come up with a way to transfer my corals and live rock to the new tank I'm getting soon, while making 100% sure no pests are going along for the ride.

Any Ideas?

If it comes down to it I might just dry out the rock and all start over.
I don't want any pests in my new tank.
I WILL UTILIZE A QUARANTINE TANK THIS TIME!!

Thanks,
Nick

It's nearly impossible to to avoid all pests... Trust me i've tried. I had 0 pests in my 29G. When upgrading to my 75G, I didn't want to buy new LR to get anything icky. So I bought a bunch of base rock and cycled the tank like freshwater do with ammonia. I dip (and generally quarantine) my corals before adding to the tank yet I still managed to get zoa-eating nudis and random aiptasia.

If you're having a pest problem I wouldn't just throw the whole coral away =\ Depending on the pest you have, there is almost always a way to deal with it and get rid of them. IMO, drying out your live rock would be a complete waste of money and mature bacteria/other goodies.

I'm not sure what the black dots are, but if possible remove the frag and dip it in a coral dip. It removes/kills many different kinds of pests.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back