Coral Of The Week - Scolymia

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
No ones has written anything about my favourite coral - Scolymia!!

Probably because they cost an arm and a leg!!!

Well let me write a little something!!!

Scolymia
scolymia australis (many more species)

Also known as meat coral, and button coral.

7c80725d.jpg

Care level is easy

Eats any meaty foods and calcium for skeleton growth. The scolymia is a coral with a puffy surface, that extends feeding tentacles from it's flesh when hungry, almost looking like it's turning itself inside out. It eats a number of meaty foods such as mysis, brine shrimp, mussells, shellfish in general etc etc.

Flow should be low / moderate

Lighting should be moderate to high T5's are about as low as you can go, although some report success with LED's and regular feeding (definitely this method is for the experienced reefer after under going research)

Colourtion can be any colour . Scolymia comes in ALL colours including, purple, red, blue, green, yellow, orange, you name it. This is part of the reason it's such a popular and expensive coral. Most Scolymia are patterned with several colours but do come as solo coloured as well.

4e2d7285.jpg

Price is HIGH ranging from £80-200

*Can sting other corals with sweeper tentacles.*

Availability is good dependent on size and coloration

Similar species include Cynarina and Acanthophyllia

Scolymia is a fantastic coral, that will bring your aquarium to life with it's extrodanary colours and hardy personality, it will grow well provided the right water conditions and is fed regularly! If fed daily the growth of tissue is amazing and it will soon grow in size.

information is based purely on overall research prior to purchasing my own a few months ago and personal experience.

My very large scoly with feeding tentacles out. At LEAST 6" (15cm) in diameter... He grew very quickly and i've had to move him to the back in order to give him more room which he has obviously outgrew again. Need to find a new space for him or find him a new home. :(

156to38.jpg

Beautiful Scoly Nemo! Haven't you got a red one aswell? They grow mega fast if you feed them daily!! Mine 6 inches across too now!! :)

Yes fairly large. Acanthophyllia grow larger than scolymia but they are very very similar. Scolymia's grow to about 8inches when fully expanded and at full size.

Acanthophyllia slightly larger and Cynarina can grow up to 14inches in the wild.

Here's some more scolymia that I have:

e412d0ca.jpg

15e9ac43.jpg

And

63dd193a.jpg

:good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back