Coral Of The Week - Acropora

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
OOOHHH, me! me! :lol:

Here is my green Acro

DSCN2155.jpg

Not too much to say, other than they need pristine water to do well, so low Nitrate, low Phosphate (ideally zero on both), zero Ammonia/Nitrite and then Mg between 1250 and 1350, Alk between 8 and 12, and Ca between 380 and 450. They are Ok under moderate light, but do best in stronger for growth. Like plenty of flow too. They often come with hitch-hiking crabs that are hard to spot and very prettily coloured :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

only bit of advice i can give is don't have yellow bean gobies if you're planning on keeping acropora!
i found out the hard way as they stripped a nice blue tipped acro of its flesh within a few days in order to spawn in it :crazy:

only bit of advice i can give is don't have yellow bean gobies if you're planning on keeping acropora!
i found out the hard way as they stripped a nice blue tipped acro of its flesh within a few days in order to spawn in it :crazy:

ehhh pictures of those naughty gobies on the acropora please Rob?

Seffie x

Seffie x

as requested:

IMG_1765.jpg

it did look like this to begin with:

IMG_1618.jpg

Seffie x

as requested:

IMG_1765.jpg

it did look like this to begin with:

IMG_1618.jpg

ouch! thats painful to know huh!

but those clown gobys have such a great personality i hear.

Acropora Corals

The genus Acropora has over 20 species. The most common name for acropora corals is "staghorn coral". This fits many of the acropora species but other forms are shaped like tables, bushes or are a clustering coral. For instance, the Green Fiji, is a bushy coral (as evidenced by the name A. bushyensis).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:

Table acropora has short branches that reach upward to form a flat table-like structure. The surface of the table is perfectly flat in nature, so when placing it in the aquarium, make sure it is as flat as you can get it.

Bushy corals have many tightly compacted branches and look bushy. Clustering acropora grows in various sized clusters that resemble cauliflower and is sometimes bumpy.

Staghorn acropora has distinct branches that look like antlers.

Acropora comes in all kinds of colors but can change dramatically depending on the environment. A green coral at the dealer may well turn out brown after it has been acclimated to your aquarium. And vice versa, a brown coral may turn out green after bringing it home!

Lighting - Water flow:

Likes medium to strong water movement, prefers turbulent flow. Requires strong light from VHO or metal halide.

Difficulty of Care:

This is not hard to keep as long as the above requirements are met along with maintenance of calcium, strontium and trace elements. For this reason though it is not recommended for beginners.

Aggressiveness:

Can send out digestive strands called 'acontia' that are actually used to digest neighboring corals so keep an eye out for any problems.

Remember, this is a shared and ongoing resource, so don't forget to pop back and update us with your new photos and experiences in the coming months

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back