Coral Identification Please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gigmeyer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I added this coral to my tank yesterday. The LFS owner said it is a type of montipora. Does this look correct?
It appears to have come from an established reef tank as it also has 3 feather duster worms, some sort of other tube worm, and two additional coral buds.

I circled the tube worm and a feather duster in the first picture. Can anyone identify the tube worm for me?

I also circled the additional corals in the second picture. The first one looks like a zoa and the second is a mushroom though I'm not sure. Thoughts?

I'm considering separating the polyp and mushroom and relocating elsewhere in the tank. Should I wait and let them acclimate some first before breaking them off the main rock?

Thanks

montipora_1.jpg
montipora_2.jpg

Looks like an encrusting monti. The tube worm you circled is a normal large-ish feather duster.

The second pic looks like a Palythoa of some sort. Possibly the dreaded Aiptasia so keep an eye on it. As for the greeny one you suggest is a mushroom... if you think it's a mushroom it probably is, it's not too clear what it is from the pic.

If you do decide to move them then you can do it as soon as you like. If they're open and feeding then they're ready to be fragged in my book :)

The tube worm does not have any sort of feather crown, but instead has what looks like a head and mouth that comes slightly out of the aperture to feed. Could it be a feather duster that lost its crown or is there another tube worm that behaves this way?

If a feather duster had shed it's crown then it would be replaced with a new, smaller one within a couple of weeks. Once it has shed 2 or maybe 3 times it dies. If it is a feather duster which has shed it's crown then expect a new one to start showing pretty quick. If you don't see a new crown then it's not a feather.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back