Coral Ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

djbrandon123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi

im getting a new 30 gallon and i figured i was goig to start a reef this is my first time with marines

i was looking through the internet and found a few i liked

button polyp (protopalythoa)
green mouth button polyp(see above)
glove polyp(clavularia)
star polyp(pachyclavularia)
yellow polyp(parazoanthus)
and pulsing/pumping xenia

are you getting fish, if so you may want to go to a 50-60 gal as it is easyer to keep and maintain a larger tank :good: those soft corals look awesome :drool:

i wish i could get a bigger tank but i dont have room i found a few more

yellow fiji leather(sarcophyton elegans)
green pagoda(turbinaria spp)
frogspawn(euphyllia paradivisa)
hammer(euphyllia parancora)
and some zoas

i also saw some

candycane(caulastrea furcata)
galaxy(galaxea fascicularis)
flowerpot(goniopora spp)

Hello,

May I ask what type of lighting you plan on having. That might limit what corals you can keep and may make the decision making process a bit easier. There are so many to choose from, it can be overwhelming.

:)

Medium lighting isn't very useful as far as determining what types of corals you can have.
Are you using T5's, Metal Halide, Power Compacts?
What wattages?

more than likely any of the soft coral species you mention will be fine under almost all lighting conditions.
The Galaxea, Caulastrea, Turbinaria, Euphyllia in the other hand require stronger lighting and are more demanding as far as water quality goes.

The Goniopora species have a notoriously bad reputation for being difficult to care for.
It may just be that some species are more demanding than others as I got a frag of a beautiful goniopora a few months ago and it is as hardy as any other LPS.
But just as is for the other LPS species you mentioned, you will need at least T5's or Power Compacts to keep these species, plus a good amount of flow, and good water quality.
I would say that the Goniopora should be the last to go in, if you want to give them a try. If you can keep the Caulastrea, Turbinaria, ect. species thriving I would say go for it.

Do you have any questions as far as setting up the tank goes?

Nick D.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back