Coral Books

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rabbut

I don't bite, all that often...
Reaction score
As the title realy..

If you have a good book on corals, could you have a look to see what they say about Magnesium in a marine tank, and the relivant page number for what they say? The Coral book at work states that it is not documented in any litriture that corals or other marine organisums motabolise, or otherwise have reliance, direct or indirect, on Magnesium levels. I've always been lead to believe that this is not the case. I know folks at work won't believe internet sources, so I realy need printed litriture references if possible to correct them if the book is wrong...

Thanks all
Rabbut

Had a look through mine, but nothing mentioned :no:

On Amazon, there is a book called "Marine reef aquarium Handbook" It has a brief look inside function on the website and there are quite a few chapters refering to the water make-up. I dont know whether anyone has this book to have look see?

This book also looks good "Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry and Natural History"

The reason they don't like the net is because anyone can post whatever they like on it. They argue that because the net isn't correcly vetted, that there is too much incorrect information on it, because you know, books can never be wrong either :rolleyes: One person there also argues that most of the reef aquarium chemistory articles are by one person (good old Randy Holmes-Farley), or derrived from their sites... That I'm skepticle of, but I can half see their first point. (this said, Randy does either Author or Co-Aurthor a lot of these Google hits...) As with anything else, with sufficient cross-referencing, you can get the correct info from it :nod:

I've found a couple of papers on Mg and NO2 (un-intentionally, but would make a good discussion next weekend I suspect during the quiet times :lol: ), and the abstracts look promising. I'll get into the library at some point at Uni this week and print off the relivant sections of the papers for them :good: (why you can't just view the papers in full on-line as a normal civilian I'll never know)

Bronzecat, thanks for looking in yours for me :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Well rabbut, most reliable info I've read from authors like Dr. Holmes-Farley, Borneman, Calfo, and Dr. Shimek indicate that Magnesium is not a significant component of coral skeleton. Be that as it may, chemically it is very important for the stability of marine aquaria as is well documented by Holmes-Farley. Magnesium affects equillibrium reactions that leave calcium and carbonate/bicarbonate in the correct forum for the coral to use in it's skeleton. So by helping the coral more easily take calcium and carb/bicarb out of the water, Magnesium is a significant factor in coral health.

And if someone doesn't believe the man with a PhD in chemistry on the subject (whether he writes on the internet or in print) then they're too arrogant/ignorant for me to bother with them :)

Thanks Ski,

I understood that Mg wan't in the skelaton of corals, but it is presant in coraline algea, and that it was also used to stop Alk and Ca crashing below acceptable levels.

There are papers referenced in one of Holmes-Farley's on-line articles, so I will pull it up an Uni in the library tomorrow and print it off. I may also have a couple of articles about NitrIte's toxidity, as I keep being told that it's toxic to marine fishes at trace levels where as Randy has indicated it's as toxic as NitrAte, i.e. not very.... :shifty: not dangerous to 100ppm, erm, trace levels a problem to fish :unsure: I wonder how dodgy it is to corals though...

All the best
Rabbut

Magnesium is important with regards calcium homeostasis; poor little kiddies die because their calcium won't rise from the depths due to magnesium being too low. Do you think corals have actin and myosin chains that control polyp expansion? Also do corals have a circulatory system or is simple diffusion adequate?? I have been wondering about this for a while. How do corals sense light? and is that the same as how a clam senses light?

Just my thoughts

Regards

Corals do not have a circulatory system CF. I'm not sure how they control polyp expansion but I'd think that even simpler than having muscle like organalles would be to just osmoregulate themselves.

Since you mentioned them, Tridacnid clams do have a vascular system.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back