cooling?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ste2k3

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
how do you all keep your tank cool in the summer months? especialy the people in the US or other countries who have really hot summers? some of you may have chillers but any good DIY methods? I don't realy want to modify a beer cooler and I'v read about running pies underground? does anyone else have any tips, also looking at heat-plate exchangers plumbed in to the coldwater supply to cool it.

ste :)

Being in MI I would guess you have a basement?
.... and what fun stuff can grow in a little 300g trough (Menards 90 - 100 bucks)...

:blink:

ste :huh:

Just use 2X4" orion cooling fans. AC in house keeps house under 75 so water will never get too hot.

I'm planning on either getting a heat-plate exchanger (about £100) or getting a few fans over the top and an extractor to get rid of the condensation.

Extractor? Whassat?

My autotopoff helps keep things cool. I have a solenoid on my RO/DI direct from the cold water pipe and our cold water here is collllllddddddd.

an extractor is just a fan that suchs air out through a tube to outside. I have had fans in the past and I ended up waking up in the morning with puddles of water on the floor and windows :crazy: . so I'd have to get an extractor fan to remove the humid air.

can you all tell me what exactly a chiller is and looks like? I am thinking that I may need one, as I have to watch the electric bill here in the summer running two AC units with 110 degree Far. summers. :crazy: Part of it is that we live in an old house with no isulation. It doesn't get really hot in the house, but with my coralife light on the tank, I know the temp may very well climb too high. Even if I run the ACs at 80 degrees, our bills run into the high $200- low $300 ranges..............I will do it if I have to, but I am very interested in learning more about chillers. :D

I go the air conditioned house route. MY tanks remain stable, and I have a safe haven also. :D

But if I had to go the chiller route, I often see good deals for used ones.

GL

Great Lakes said:
I go the air conditioned house route. MY tanks remain stable, and I have a safe haven also. :D

But if I had to go the chiller route, I often see good deals for used ones.

GL
where? on ebay?

ste you got the fans mounted backwards :lol: :lol:

turn em around and your problems will be solved!

dam, I knew there was something i was doing wrong :rolleyes: .

ste :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back