Cooling Cakes Quickly?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

OohFeeshy

It's only forever; not long at all...
Reaction score
Tomorrow, (as part of the GCSE course, I swear :look: ), I'm making two Devils Food Cakes. Mmm :drool: ... The lesson is, say, an hour and 15 mins. One is home made, one a packet mix, so I'd guess at half an hour to make both. Excluding cooking time. By the time I've got each cooked, there will be about 15-20 minutes to get the cakes cooled, filled and iced. Evidently I can't do that whilst the cakes are still hot. The ganache will be ready made, so no worries there, but 15 minutes isn't overly long to get the cakes cooled enough to ice. So, any suggestions other than putting them by a window or by a fan?

I have put them in the fridge in order to cool them quickly before.

Not ideal but in home ec needs must.

Except that's a big no no in Home Ec
:p

You should never put hot food in a fridge cos it raises the temp and allows bacteria to grow.

When's your class Feeshy? Couldn't you go back later to ice etc?

I did think of that, the teacher is rather fussy about things like that but I'll wait until she's out of the room. Hmm, hopefully this Cunning Plan Part III will mean the cakes can be covered and filled with ganache instead of just filled with it with plain white icing on top... I know which I'd prefer :shifty:

EDIT-

Except that's a big no no in Home Ec

You should never put hot food in a fridge cos it raises the temp and allows bacteria to grow.

When's your class Feeshy? Couldn't you go back later to ice etc?

Oh yes, that'd be why. Hmm, if I cooled for as long as I could then if it was still slightly warm put it in the fridge, that shouldn't be as bad. Plus at least one will be eaten within 10 minutes or so. The only way I could go back later would be at the end of the day, and take it home and fill/ice it, which isn't ideal. Meh. I can get some extra time if I wash/dry up quickly though... I'll just have to attempt to work by a window.

Yeah I know it is a big no no.

Another option is to make the mixes up at home and then take them in ready made and then you can cook them and they will have more cooling time

Run around outside with it for a few minutes, the weather is cold enough to cool it quickly. Even if you do look stupid doing it. :D

put them on the widow sill and just maybe the Big-Bad Wolf will huff and puff on them :p

Inhale more like, icing and all :p The cake sort of worked, I was very pushed for time but just about managed to make it and slap on some ganache in the lesson, and nice it is too :) Cuurently on 'bung it in the micro and serve with cream' sessions, it's a bit dry to eat on it's own. I'll try the recipie again at home though, should work better.

I put them outside only during the winter or when it is less than 50 degrees F outside, otherwise fridge, or better freezer :lol: :D

Only trouble with putting cakes in the fridge or freezer for that matter is it makes the fat go hard quickly giving the cake a fatty and heavy texture (and often hard too) there really isnt a way to cool cakes quickly ( I make wedding cakes etc as a home job)nothing beats the window sill and time really. Sorry :/

They do make rappid chillers specifically for making hot things cool off quickly, I remember seeing them on the real Iron chef. However Wanda is correct, your final product will not be the same if you cool it too quickly or too much.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back