🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ryan

Spinning around
Reaction score
post-22-1081257141.jpg

Common name:Coolie/Khuli loach

Scientific name:Pangio kuhlii

Family:Cobitidae

Origin:Borneo, Java, Thailand, Malaysia.

Maximum Size:4-5"

Care:A hardy Loach that likes to bury in a fine, soft substrate. Provide plenty of hiding places as they like to stay hidden until evening/night time. Another peaceful Loach that will suit any peaceful community.

Feeding - Will accept most commercail foods but be sure to provide a varied diet including frozen foods and live if possible.

Sexing and Breeding - Coolies have and can be breed in the home aquaria.

Comments - Khuli loaches are very interesting fish. They are 'wormlike', and they seem to impose themselves on alot of keepers. However, they are very attractively colored and marked and make a great and intresting addition to a tank.

What i believe is my female khuli loach due to the broadness of the body.

femalekhuli.jpg

They are very shy and timid so include plenty of shelter with low caves and low plants for their enjoyment. Here's part of my khuli setup(with some cories sharing the bliss :wub: ):
khuli_school.jpg

For your collection. Our Myers khuli below is "hypomelanistic"/"amelanistic", not a true albino, which would have red eyes.

Just to add some more info.

Max size will vary because, obviously, of all the different species (loaches.com has a fairly good list) sold under that name, but I'd say 4-5" is a bit much. My four or so fully grown kuhlis are only just a tad over 3", but about as thick as a pencil.

Contrary to some beliefs, they very rarely bury themselves, but use sand in much the same way as cories- rooting around for food. But, as I think for cories, sand is needed rather than a benefit.

A lot of people seem to want to keep just one kuhli or a group of three. I don't think this is very good. While they're not 'social' as such, they do need to be in as big a group as possible, for reasons I'm not entirely sure on, but the bigger the group, the more active and 'happier' they seem to be. 6+ is a good number, and anyway, its not as if they're a strain on the bioload.

Keep in mind that kuhlis will only come out of hiding when they are in numbers of +6 and there is a lot of hiding spaces! Ironically, the more places they have to hide, the more they will be out. Caves, plants, driftwood, PVC, all good hidey holes. They love to hide under almond leaves as well. They hate bright lights due to their sensitive eyes, so either dim lighting, blackwater, or plenty of big or floating plants to block out light will help them.

If you notice your kuhlis are "doggy piling" or squriming all in spot in a giant pile of loach, then you absolutely need to get more hiding spots. This is a defense mechanism that activates when hiding spots are severely defficiant.

They will eat anything that hits the floor: pellets, flakes, gel, frozen, freeze-dried, tabs, vegetables, you name it.

They love peas. They absolutely adore cooked peas. But, if you give them lettuce and it is not properly weighted down, when they try to eat it, the sudden movements scare them.

Kuhlis are shrimp, fry, and any fish eggs that aren't on the floor. Being bottom feeders, they will never activley hunt for swimming fry or shrimplets.

When first adding a Kuhli to a tank, they will become very shy for up to 2 weeks. They will eat, and only rarely venture out from hiding. This is normal, as they are getting used to a new home.

Kuhlis do not handle stress well, and they need clean water. Anything above 95ppm of nitrate can be harmful to kuhlis IME.
They do not tolerate aquarium salt or powerful medications containing copper.

Kuhlis are amazing little fish, that can live up to 10+ years. Getting to know them and learning their individual personalities is a real treat and every fish keeper should keep these at least once.
They are also known for getting into the weirdest spots and positions!

PA041084.jpg

PA041073.jpg

P9050905.jpg

P9050901.jpg

P9050878.jpg

P6240315.jpg

P6150287.jpg

P5170088.jpg

P2241286.jpg

P2181268.jpg

PC261088.jpg

PC171059.jpg