Convincing parents for a budgie?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Ava

Reaction score
As iā€™m only 14 and already have a dog and a lot of fish. My parents donā€™t like the thought of getting another pet. Although I would pay for EVERYTHING and they wouldnā€™t have to lift a finger or pay a penny. I just donā€™t know how to convince them šŸ˜• Any ideas?

As iā€™m only 14 and already have a dog and a lot of fish. My parents donā€™t like the thought of getting another pet. Although I would pay for EVERYTHING and they wouldnā€™t have to lift a finger or pay a penny. I just donā€™t know how to convince them šŸ˜• Any ideas?
thats tough lol

Reactions: Ava
Whatā€™s their reasoning for not letting you get one?

I had one when I was a kid. Just go get him and don't tell them. That's what I did. They'll be mad for a couple days but they won't make you get rid of him.
Note: I can already hear the howl over this advice. Put your milk bottle down.

Whatā€™s their reasoning for not letting you get one?
Iā€™m not quite sure, but most likely the cost, (although I told them I would pay for everything), the work, and thought of having another animal.

Do a "business" plan listing expected costs and how you will cover them, include intended care/ management routine of the budgie and provision for holidays and veterinary needs. Anticipate any problems and explain how you will deal with them. It could take the form of a power point presentation.
The more work you put into it, the higher the chances of getting them to agree.

I had one when I was a kid. Just go get him and don't tell them. That's what I did. They'll be mad for a couple days but they won't make you get rid of him.
Note: I can already hear the howl over this advice. Put your milk bottle down.
We did the same thing, mum would spit the dummy for a bit but eventually settle down and got to keep them,

If you do get birds get a pair so they have company. Budgies live in huge flocks and need company otherwise they stress out.

it really depends on your parents, but I definitely have some helpful tips!

Donā€™t beg, nag, or argue. It will only tell your parents that you are immature!!!

Prove that you can keep up with your EXISTING responsibilities with diligence, and without being asked.

Let them know that you are passionate about it. Take the time to do the research and earn the money beforehand. What will REALLY get your parents is if you recognize something that could make having a parakeet an issue, such as the noise or the mess, and bring solutions to the table.

When I was 12, I wrote up a paper asking for a companion dog. My family has some rough allergies, so in my paper I recognized this fact and brought three solutions to the table. 1. Regular grooming/baths to reduce shedding and dander, 2. Never allowed on the couch or in any bedroom but my own, 3. I offered to contribute to high particle air filters and vacuum the main areas of the house as needed.

And the most important tip. Respect! Show respect while asking, ask them what their concerns are. If your parents hear you and say it doesnā€™t work, respect it. Maybe you could ask again in a few months. If you run out and buy a parakeet like others suggest, you may damage your parents trust in your relationship. In the end I would think that is more important than a budgieā€¦

it really depends on your parents, but I definitely have some helpful tips!

Donā€™t beg, nag, or argue. It will only tell your parents that you are immature!!!

Prove that you can keep up with your EXISTING responsibilities with diligence, and without being asked.

Let them know that you are passionate about it. Take the time to do the research and earn the money beforehand. What will REALLY get your parents is if you recognize something that could make having a parakeet an issue, such as the noise or the mess, and bring solutions to the table.

When I was 12, I wrote up a paper asking for a companion dog. My family has some rough allergies, so in my paper I recognized this fact and brought three solutions to the table. 1. Regular grooming/baths to reduce shedding and dander, 2. Never allowed on the couch or in any bedroom but my own, 3. I offered to contribute to high particle air filters and vacuum the main areas of the house as needed.

And the most important tip. Respect! Show respect while asking, ask them what their concerns are. If your parents hear you and say it doesnā€™t work, respect it. Maybe you could ask again in a few months. If you run out and buy a parakeet like others suggest, you may damage your parents trust in your relationship. In the end I would think that is more important than a budgieā€¦
Yeah, yeah, yeah. All that. But . . . . there really isn't anything as fun as a Parakeet. I had mine 50 years ago and I still think about him. Every time I go to the pet shop I always go look at them. The coolest pet bird of all IMHO. So however you connive to get one just get one. The more I think about it . . . hmmm .

Iā€™m not quite sure, but most likely the cost, (although I told them I would pay for everything), the work, and thought of having another animal.
Iā€™d find out the reason why they said no, and then try to work it out. Itā€™s not feasible for them to say no because of the cost, if you will be paying for everything.

I have 2 budgies, they can live for quite a long time so what are your plans when you move out or go to college? How much do you know so far about birds (diet, lifespan, cage size, perches etc.)
I suggest you go over to Avian Avenue (a forum about birds) and have a look they will help you. They are a very expensive pet and need a large flight cage, expensive (but necessary) vet bills, variety of food (only seeds is absolutely NOT viable), range of foraging toys, natural perches.
You also need the time to tame them and spend time with them, budgies are either very affectionate or not that affectionate at all. Either way you have to accept it so keep that in mind. It takes a lot of time to tame them and their bond with you can easily be broken.
One of my budgies started acting sick, I had to take her to an avian vet and now I have to medicate her twice daily. This has been incredibly expensive but this is what you sign up for if you choose to get a bird of any kind.
How do you plan to give your budgie out of cage time, it needs to be supervised?
If you have a dog, don't assume they will get along
Don't get me wrong, they are small and are an amazing pet however, if you want to care for them properly it takes a whole lot of effort.
If this is your first look into the world of birds maybe try volunteering at a bird rescue or something to see if they really are for you. I've had four budgies so far (two have passed away), only one was as affectionate and people obsessed as I thought they would be.
Budgies (in my experience) are quite independent birds compared to a cockatiel or a GCC for example.
Lets say, you bought two budgies and one passes away. What do you do with the other one? This is a hard cycle to get out of. They are flock birds so really do need a companion anyway.

Hope this helps!

@Colin_T Spit the dummy ? Is that along the lines of Randy Little Sods ?
Spit the dummy, chuck a sad, go off the deep end, get angry and tell us no, etc.

Budgies are randy little sods too :)

--------------------
For the OP, the following links have information about budgies other members on the forum have. They might interest you :)

I have 2 budgies, they can live for quite a long time so what are your plans when you move out or go to college? How much do you know so far about birds (diet, lifespan, cage size, perches etc.)
I suggest you go over to Avian Avenue (a forum about birds) and have a look they will help you. They are a very expensive pet and need a large flight cage, expensive (but necessary) vet bills, variety of food (only seeds is absolutely NOT viable), range of foraging toys, natural perches.
You also need the time to tame them and spend time with them, budgies are either very affectionate or not that affectionate at all. Either way you have to accept it so keep that in mind. It takes a lot of time to tame them and their bond with you can easily be broken.
One of my budgies started acting sick, I had to take her to an avian vet and now I have to medicate her twice daily. This has been incredibly expensive but this is what you sign up for if you choose to get a bird of any kind.
How do you plan to give your budgie out of cage time, it needs to be supervised?
If you have a dog, don't assume they will get along
Don't get me wrong, they are small and are an amazing pet however, if you want to care for them properly it takes a whole lot of effort.
If this is your first look into the world of birds maybe try volunteering at a bird rescue or something to see if they really are for you. I've had four budgies so far (two have passed away), only one was as affectionate and people obsessed as I thought they would be.
Budgies (in my experience) are quite independent birds compared to a cockatiel or a GCC for example.
Lets say, you bought two budgies and one passes away. What do you do with the other one? This is a hard cycle to get out of. They are flock birds so really do need a companion anyway.

Hope this helps!
I honestly donā€™t plan on going to college as iā€™m already starting up a small business as a horse trainer. And my best friend owns a zoo, and I work there in my free time with a bunch of exotic animals including birds. Yes I would get two and they would have a lot of time out of the cage as iā€™m homeschooled so iā€™m almost always home and my dog tends to leave other animals alone but if for some reason he didnā€™t I would separate them right away. And yes, I understand the care requirements of budgies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back