Convicts And Tiger Barbs

AngelOfDeath

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can these fish be mixed? and to convicts have to be kept in pairs?

Finallly, which cichlids other than convict are good to be kept with tiger barbs?

Thanks

What size tank? Convicts are VERY VERY aggressive. I had a pair de-scale another convict before. I wouldn't put them in the same tank with tiger barbs. Also, they are New World Cichlids, not Africans.

oh, I read something that said they were african so I posted here, my mistake. The tank size is 20g, so i wanted one convict and say 5 tiger barbs, I wanted a blue convict becuase of the colour contrast between the two types of fish.

What other less aggressive cichlids would you recommend, but still retaining colour

thanks

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I've kept convicts in the past. I don't think they are neccessarily that mean. They are only aggressive if they are a pair. Males are more tempermental than females when not breeding. As long as you have a pair I would say nothing is safe. But, as long as they aren't breeding the tiger barbs should be fine.

Miles

convicts are about as agressive as any other cichlid then again there will always be those that have reputations for being just plain brutes such as midas and festae. in a 20 gallon though I would not add a con with the tiger barbs.

i agree, i have a pair in my 55 and they are nasty lol, but they do keep to their own territory...for the 20 gallon i would only have a single convict, but im not sure if you could keep the TBs in there too

thanks for the posts very helpful, i've decided to steer clear of convicts, and am interested in a pair of......bubblegum parrot cichlids, (contraversial i know) I just love the awesome blue and purple colours. Don't know if i will get these becuase i have a load of small guppies which i fear would get eaten

awesome pineapple express banner btw

thanks for the posts very helpful, i've decided to steer clear of convicts, and am interested in a pair of......bubblegum parrot cichlids, (contraversial i know) I just love the awesome blue and purple colours. Don't know if i will get these becuase i have a load of small guppies which i fear would get eaten

awesome pineapple express banner btw
"Bubblegum" is often another way of saying "dyed" without being so overt about it. And also parrot cichlids are a man-made hybrid which causes deformaties and shorter lifespans.

I'm not going to get up on the soap box about this, but if you consider yourself a person who actually cares about fish, you won't support the practice of fish dying or creating hybrids that are quite simply not healthy fish. Made worse so by the dying process.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_fish"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_fish[/URL]

I'd suggest reading that. A warning, it's fairly gruesome, but if you buy dyed fish, that's essentially what you are supporting..

(EDIT: Ok, so I did get a bit up on the soapbox, sorry)

A personal suggestion for a 20 gallon. Look into getting a pair of Rams. They'll fit perfectly. And they won't hurt your guppies. That, and they are great looking fish with great personality.
http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/531.htm

bol_ram_09-06-2006.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back