Convict X Firemouth Hybrid?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

onidrase

Let's Be Friends
Reaction score
Convicts and firemouths are my two favorite fish for some reason. Even though mixing two of your favorite things doesn't make the greatest thing ever, having a convictxFM would be something I'm intrigued about. And I looked up a hybrid of them, but there's been mixed results, some look more firemouth, others more convict, not sure if any of it is photoshopped or not, but some people out there have claimed to breed the two.

So. Has anyone on here bred the two? Do you have pictures of the offspring?

How hard is it to get rid of the fry? How much fry is there? How big do the offspring get?

how hard is it to get the two to get along to breed, considering convict's general strong aggression and physical fighting style and a firemouths more relaxed nature and bluff tactics?

How do they act during breeding? Does the convict go psycho like it would with another convict? Wouldn't that be somewhat dangerous for the firemouth?

Thanks in advance. I probably won't be breeding them at this point, but it's something I'm somewhat interested in.

It has been done. You get rid of them by feeding the fry to another fish :p
You will no get anything that looks nice. Especially with those con genes, yuck. If you really want to do this Keep 1 male con and 1 female FM or vice versa together in a tank and after they settle in for a week or 2 do a massive water change with warm water. Be prepared for a shredded FM though. Cull any fry you don't plan on keeping. I wouldn't do it though. With Con hybrids there is a 99% chance of ugly.

It has been done. You get rid of them by feeding the fry to another fish :p
You will no get anything that looks nice. Especially with those con genes, yuck. If you really want to do this Keep 1 male con and 1 female FM or vice versa together in a tank and after they settle in for a week or 2 do a massive water change with warm water. Be prepared for a shredded FM though. Cull any fry you don't plan on keeping. I wouldn't do it though. With Con hybrids there is a 99% chance of ugly.
Ha, I love convicts, I dunno why. I'm a big fan of "duller" fish, so to speak. Black and white fish being my favorite. The mixture of the two in the gorgeous stripe formation is just a big plus. Honestly, I think firemouths are the uglier of the two. Their throat display is bizarre to me, and the elongated face makes them look derpy ;)

I think I'll avoid it, though. I hate the sound of the convict beating hard on the FM. I wouldn't put it past my little girl either, she's quite the aggressor, even attacking my pitcher during water changes and the vacuum during siphoning. Just recently I had to isolate her cause she was biting the eyeballs of my catfish :crazy:

Thanks for the tips, though, I'll keep it all in mind if I'm suddenly dying for a convictxFM hybrid :good:

I've seen them in the past at my local fish store and I have to say they looked kind of like a mutant tilapia. I too enjoy convicts and fm, but think they look much better as is. Just my opinion.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back