Convict/jaguar Cichlid

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

t-rex

Reaction score
I've got 2 convict/jaguar cichlids i took of my friends hands cause he didn't want to have a tank anymore, they are currently in a 33 gal with a skirt tetra he had aswell. i was wondering what else i could put in this tank with them, they are fairly small, about the same size as the tetra. Will post pics to confirm identity when they come out of hiding :)

Hi not a great set up for them to be fair - the Convict is good in there but Jags are big big aggressive fish - I would look for either a bigger tank for your self and the fish - in the region of 5 - 6 foot + or find someone who can look after it.

The skirt tetra is a bad choice for tank mate also they need to be in schools.

Wills

Sorry i didn't word that correctly i have 2 convict/jaguar hybrids. atleast thats what i was told they are can anyone confirm this? and the tetra so far seems to be hanging around them and he chases them around to an extent.

Wills' advice still stands, if it was only a convict with no jaguar blood it would be fine, basically. But Jaguars get huge, which is why you'll most likely need a 5-6 foot long and 2 foot wide tank to house it as an adult. I don't know exactly how big a hybrid of a convict and jaguar gets, but I don't doubt it's still gonna get bigger than 6 inches, which is your max limit size for a 33 gallon tank.

And your tetra may be able to pick on them now, but soon enough it'll be fish chow.

Sorry i didn't word that correctly i have 2 convict/jaguar hybrids. atleast thats what i was told they are can anyone confirm this? and the tetra so far seems to be hanging around them and he chases them around to an extent.

Thanks for the support however im not sure if he'll get to the 6" mark, as this same pair had a few young a couple years back and they are no bigger than the tetra, I do have a 90 gal that is cycling right now, so i will have a larger tank for them. Again thanks for the input, im still new!

I can't picture a very healthy or particularly well lived fish from this hybridisation. Interesting to see though if you can get a picture.

I can't picture a very healthy or particularly well lived fish from this hybridisation. Interesting to see though if you can get a picture.
Curious why do you think they wouldn't be healthy? I'm not a fan of this hybrid though.

I've seen a couple pics and videos of them before Ill try to find one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1EhTILgRdU

There is a bunch of videos of con/jag fry too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back