Convict in a 10 gallon?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DragonScales+Doubletails

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi All! I am receiving 3 10 gallon tanks soon and am wanting to get into cichlids for the first time. Do you think 1(one) convict cichlid in a well-maintained tank would be an OK scenario:/?

Short answer, no. A male Convict will attain 4 inches, some have reached 6 inches, with females slightly smaller. A pair requires a 40g tank. And this is not a community fish.

If you want cichlids for a 10 gallon, I would look at N. Multifasciatus. They will need very hard water, and giant shells to live in. You could probably do a couple pairs in a 10 gallon. They are fun little fish.

Short answer, no. A male Convict will attain 4 inches, some have reached 6 inches, with females slightly smaller. A pair requires a 40g tank. And this is not a community fish.
yeah I didn't think so. just looking for 10-gallon solo fish that aren't bettas, as if I need more of those. while writing this I ignore the fact that 2 of the 3 10 gallons will hold bettas 😂

Convicts are straight brutes. You could keep a pair of dwarf Acara(Laetacara araguaiae)they are cute little guys with lovely personalities.

Most reactions

Back