Convict Hybrids?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bshockstubb

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of cichlids can breed succesfully with "hondoran Red points" which are also sold as Blue convicts. I am looking for a neotropical cichlid that can breed with my convicts and produce fry that have no noticeable mutations ie. parrots and flowerhorns(with their giant bumbs :crazy: ) I am looking for a cichlid that can survive these outrageous summer temps. we get here in Arizona(100-120*F :crazy: :eek: ) I do know they stock the local lakes with Tilapi(but that's an African) I was thinking about green texas or Severum...ideas?

i was about to say severum,but then you said it :nod:

DD

So maybe a serveum? How about a rainbow, sajica, or red/green terror?? Would that make a cool(and not mutated) and hardy fish?

Be very careful breeding a convict with a severum if you don't want mutations. That's one of the combos that is said to produce blood parrots (gold sev and pink con,) but who knows... Breeding a con with a blood parrot will supposedly produce a jellybean parrot, which is a pretty cute little fish in my opinion.
I'm not sure if breeding it with a Texas would work, but that sounds like a pretty good match to me :nod:

Here's a pic of an adult jellybean parrot, incase you don't know what they look like... he's the blue-ish one :)

i personally dislike the look of blood parrots and jellys. I had a pair of bps and traded them in. I dont want the huge body and lips ect. like a blood parrot so maybe a severum is outta the question. So how about a depsey? i know they grow huge...but will they mate with a convict? Any other suggestions? ;)

the forehead on flowerhorns isnt a mutation, its just the nuchal hump off of the fish it comes from. You ever seen the nuchal hump on a trimack?

okay well, i just dont want any huge appendages sticking out then. Although it is common and natural in many cichlids(frontosa, Trimac, ect.) i personally don't like it. I am trying to stay away from the whole parrot looking fish. I think i might just cross my HRPs with a marbled/pink con at my LFS. That should bring in some excellent color and hopfully some hardiness as well.

you are aware that convicts, sajica and hondurans can also develop fairly large nuchal humps right? cons and sajica will grow much larger humps than a honduran, but a honduran can still get a small hump. :)

convict x HRP are available at many lfs. there are farms in florida that have been hybridizing them and selling the fry as blue cons. for a long time I couldn't figure out why they'd cross them instead of just breeding the HRP's but I think I finally figured it out. HRP's are nearly as prolific a spawner as a convict. they don't spawn quite as often and the size of the spawn is much smaller. so I bet they crossed them to be able to get about the same color but with larger spawns.

oh, and before you mention it, they also cross HRP's with pink cons and sell them as Platinum cons. :)

incidentally, found an old pic of a male con I had with a good sized hump. the pic was taken with my old camera which was not very good so the pic quality isn't the best but you should be able to get an idea though. this con was about 3-3.5"

05-27-04MaleFestaeandConvict.jpg

ahh...okay. Thanks, do all cons get that hump? My male just kicked the female out of the nest...is this normal? I removed her and put her in a 5 gallon for now. So personally, do you hink HRP and convict hybrids are pretty? I'm still not sure if i have pure-blood HRPs. Also is there anything I can mix to bring out the red and yellow and blue without mixing it with a red devil or midas?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back