Convict Fry!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bluetrane2028

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well my Cons went and spawned. I know it's not a big deal to most, but I've never had a pet produce offspring before, they're dutifully defending their wigglers against "attacks." I wasn't even sure that a pair had formed, but now I know for sure. I'll find a new home for the remaining 4 tomorrow or just get a second tank...

I tried to get some pics, but the camera wasn't picking it up. They're in the tadpole wiggler stage, lots of little pairs of eyes. It doesn't look like a huge batch of fry, but then again this was their first attempt.

Hehe awesome :D

Convicts breed like wild fire. That is why i got two females. I wanted to get a boy...but it would of been to difficult.

What colour are the parents?

They're black and grey, the fish in my avatar is similar to them. That one was one of the four that didn't pair up, and was taken to a LFS on Monday.

So... how do I know when to start putting in food for the fry? I know they won't eat cichlid pellets yet, way too big for them.

Congratulations!
I would add some 'Liquifry' (No.1?) straight away + finely crushed flakes and maybe some baby brineshrimp if possible.

They will grow fast if fed 3-4 times per day> I think parents 'fed' mine for first few days.

Convicts are one of most prolific breeders, once started!!

:good:

I just got rid of my convict pair. So, you have my condolesences....err congratulations. ;) LOL

Honestly, when I was feeding my babies...I just fed them the same thing I fed Momma and Daddy, pellets. What seemed to happen, with mine anyway, they would break the pellets into pieces the babies could handle, until they got soft enough for them to do it on their own.

Honestly, people say they breed like rabbits...I'mthink it's the other way around. ;)

I just got rid of my convict pair. So, you have my condolesences....err congratulations. ;) LOL

Honestly, people say they breed like rabbits...I'mthink it's the other way around. ;)

:good: :shout: I got given some as a mate had loads of offspring> agreed (reluctantly) to have some, and they caused havoc! >Interesting to see spawning habits, however.

I saw the tank where my adult fish were spawned... a friend of a friend of a friend. I know that we're supposed to think in the best interests of our aquatic friends, but I think he might have the right idea with Cons... He has a 55gal, with about 50 cons in it, of varying sizes. Dad is this 6.5 inch goliath of a Con, he doesn't really stick to one female, he just goes at it with whichever one strikes him (somewhat unusual). The guy just keeps it really well filtered, with plenty of hiding places. The amount of adults means that spawns stay small, and the tank stays in a sort of crowded equilibrium. Once every few months he trades in like 20 at a time and gets a container of food, or some filter stuff. They keep themselves going in a way.

convicts and many cichlids will breed in groups. The males have a territory they defend from other males and in this territory they can have a harem of females. Then they breed with any female that is ready.

convicts and many cichlids will breed in groups. The males have a territory they defend from other males and in this territory they can have a harem of females. Then they breed with any female that is ready.

Well, that's exactly what he was, the sultan of his kingdom, with a harem of ladies (except in this case, most or all were actually his daughters...)

PICTURES!!!

The Fry:
Fry1.JPG

Mom Keeping Watch:
MomFry.jpg

Dad Hovering Overhead:
DadFry.jpg

Thanks to my work for letting me borrow a nicer camera than I could hope to afford right now...

I fed the fry live food for the first time today, in the form of baby brine shrimp. I bought this "San Francisco Bay Brand Shrimpery" device, works really well for conveniently getting a group of brine shrimp ready to be fed to hungry mouths. The fry loved it, and the parents looked confused and pleasantly surprised as they're used to seeing pellets only.

You should see some cichlids that get real broody and start collecting the brineshrimp up and looking after them. It can happen with daphnia too. Some females will collect them up and guard them like they are fry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back